You need this.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You need this.

8 ohms FTC 20 Hz-20 kHz 0.1% THD 3200 Watts
    8 ohms EIA 1 kHz 0.1% THD 3600 Watts
    4 ohms EIA 1 kHz 1% THD 5000 Watts
  2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Wow, that is ricockulously powerful...

I'll take 4 :hyper:
  3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Holy crap! That thing could be fun! :D
    75 pounds, however, tells me it could also be a major pain in the butt! Or the back, maybe.
  4. I could see one of these being the basis for a very decent band-owned PA system, though.
  5. That Camco looks pretty cool, but the fact that it's class-H architecture means that it's going to be really, really expensive.

The QSC RMX series is really affordable--that's its main selling point. Plus, a lot of people prefer the sound of traditional "lead-sled" class AB transformer-and-capacitor power amps.
  6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    The QSC weighs 75 pounds. It's a boat anchor. I might as well go back to hauling around an SVT. At least I won't have to go work out anymore :)
  7. My guess is that it's louder than an SVT, and won't need a $100 retubing every other year. It probably has better low end, too.
  8. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    god i have missed you.
  9. Have you, now.
  10. Why do people keep saying this? Tube life in a properly set up amp is practically indefinite, given decent tubes. I have the original tubes in my '76 SVT. It still measures over 300W on the scope and it still sounds amazing.
  11. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Think I'll pass, I'm pretty happy with my EQUIPMENT if you know what I mean.
  12. Used for powering large clubs no doubt

13. I guess it's a different thing with guitar amps and bass amps, whether by poor design or intention on the guitar end.

In any case, I think the idea of having that much power for so little money is downright intoxicating.
  14. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    I need this.

15. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Imagine dragging this thing into a coffee house gig... :eek:

No bass player needs that much power :D
  16. There are definitely things that can shorten tube life (biasing hot, etc...). A lot of guitarists bias their amps hot and the like, because of the overdrive they get from it, but even then, I think that people tend to replace tubes too often. The people who sell tubes seem to be the ones that say you need to change them regularly....Hmm...:D

Anyhoo, this thread ain't about tubes, and I concur with you on the RMX thing!

But what every bassist actually needs is one of these:

10560W into 0.85 Ohms. Can drive loads down to 0.5 Ohms. You could drive 16x 8 Ohm boxes with it!:D
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  18. What did Crown call that thing, the Gigatech?
  19. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    That thing don't have tubes, does it? Then I don't need it. Besides, I can get 1/20th of the power with the same amount of weight with my tube amps anyway.