You neeeeed to hear this: guitar, bass, etc

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Zapp, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    especially you who have an appreciation for Guitar, and you who have an appreciation for small independent studio work, please listen.

the others are worth hearing but this one really showcases some stuff

2. CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    I like the mix...kind-of. I just really don't like his voice though. I don't know what it is.
  3. bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    I dig the mix a lot too, I don't really like the music though, but it's definantly well put together.
  4. Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    good feedback.
  5. I didn't like it at all. I thought the solo didn't fit the vibe of the song. I also thought it sounded a little too "processed." I think bands often try to get a "sound" rather than just playing and capturing the feel of the music.
  6. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    +1 Processed. What happened to sounding raw. I love Op Ivy energy because it has that raspy vibe. Stuff can still sound whicked and not be crapatized by studio wonder. This song isn't that bad but I hate it when a whicked live band strains out all their "mojo" through computers and are left with this souless crap at the end.
  7. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Positives: I like the mix. IMO the amont of processing is appropriate for the genre. The singer reminds me of someone from the 70's. Help me out here, TB'er's, who would that be? Maybe Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull? I also detect some Queen influence in there, especially near the end.

My biggest negative comment is with the writing - maybe there are too many different mood/style changes to try to cram them all into one 3-minute song. IMO.

Not my preferred style of music, but pretty good for an indie. Again, IMO, based on what I can tell from a 96 kbit mp3.

How about you, Zapp? How do YOU feel about it?
  8. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    The song could be 'dirtied' up a little bit, including vox and lyrics. Add a little hard rock-swing to it and it would be great.
  9. Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    I actually agree with virtually everything lyle says. the older I got, the less I liked studio over-production. give me a band that enjoys playing together and I want to hear it all... mistakes, attempts, goofs, and that wonder of wonders when everything clicks and the energy goes off the scale.

I have told my nephew as much as he will listen that doing a 'live' recording with other musicians would bring out the best, not worst, that he has to offer. its just easier, less messy, and most of all time-efficient to studio-ize everything. he's got a very busy day job and hubby duty and a mortgage and ..... you know the drill
    He's got chops! he's got skills. I am bugging him to put up some of his neo-classical-meets-fusion stuff. Bach-like Fugues that turn my crank

10. Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    see my post back on lyle's take. I agree, Scottbass, that it shows a doggone lot of hard work on the mix, and he is working hard on vocalization. The mood/style change I think is the result of the song still being in the "ruthlessly rewriting" stage. it has morph'd a lot and is still morphing.

To my feel: too many of the songs are formulaic. It has that sense of lifting the method of the late 70's/80's and just re-doing it again. The further frustration, as in my other post, is the lack of input from other muscians live. yeah, they might struggle to keep up and actually contribute something, but the interaction would produce changes, some of which might be 'the ticket'. I think he's boxed-in. - technical overkill