You never know what is on the other side of the fire truck

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Mar 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. slobake

slobake resident ... something

This morning as I was riding my bike to work I had to negotiate around an accident at a major intersection in San Francisco. Red lights were flashing from the fire engine and police car that were planted in the middle of the street. Motorists were blasting their horns as we all slowly worked our way around the gridlock.

There was also a car with major damage in the intersection.

One cyclist decided to improve the situation by shouting “Push that car out of the way.” He caused more delays by slowing down and making eye contact with the one police officer we could see and shouting over and over “Push it out of the way.”

I was a little concerned for his safety as cyclists, pedestrians and motorists wove through the intersection. It is best to really pay attention in situations like that, diverting your attention to something else is never a good idea.

I thought the police were probably waiting for a tow truck to pull the car out of harm’s way. I heard another siren approaching and was glad that more help was coming.

As I pedaled past the fire engine my assessment of the situation changed in a heartbeat. There was another policeman and several fire fighters gathered around a prone figure laid out in the middle of the street. I realized that they were more concerned about the wellbeing of someone with serious injuries than the momentary inconvenience of an impatient group of commuters.

At that moment I thought to myself, “You never know what is on the other side of the fire truck.”

Do I get impatient with others before I know what the whole situation is? Do I pause before responding to a problem and ask myself if I really understand what is going on? Do I ask myself how my response may affect my co-workers, my family, my friends and others?

Whenever I have a quick emotional reaction to a post here I always regret it. The next time I am tempted to react instead of slowing down and considering the situation I hope I pause and remember that I "Never know what is on the other side of the fire truck."

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  2. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    It was an accident. It's highly likely there are injuries or fatalities. The guy yelling at the cop was a complete idiot. God, I hate morons on the road. That guy needs to buy a bus pass.

3. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive

Apr 23, 2014
    Such a heartbreaking experience, being amongst the chaos like that. Be kind to yourself, man.

slobake likes this.
  4. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Often times coming up to a slow down where it usually isn't, my first thought is 'it only takes one moron to slow down hundreds if not thousands' of other motorists. But poop happens ... and i try to be understanding about it. A few weeks ago some gal was perched atop i5 over Lake Union during the afternoon rush, stopping traffic in what is already normally a 5mph freeway crawl section. Some motorists who were stuck were telling her to jump already! That's low class at its lowest

slobake likes this.
  5. slobake

Yikes, it is astounding how ugly we humans can be.

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah an old drummer buddy of mine used to say "Somebody better be bleeding up there to be holding us up like this."

That crosses my mind every time I see the lights.

These days the fact that my daughters will be driving in a decade is all I can think about myself. Just hoping everyone up there is OK.

Scatabrain and slobake like this.
  7. Every one of those people on the road is somebodies child.

Remember this.

Scatabrain, FilterFunk and slobake like this.
  8. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    And some of the people on the road are acting like children.

9. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Maybe that other cyclist was trying to get home before his TNC got cold.

ONYX and slobake like this.
  10. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore?

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    I thought the whole TNC thing had been put to bed.

slobake likes this.
  11. Hoff Kinkmeister

Hoff Kinkmeister

Dec 17, 2015
    Especially those who obsess over everyone else's actions, rather than just moving on with their day.

Gravedigger Dav and slobake like this.
  12. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    I never get upset in traffic if it is accident related. Given the alternative of being in the accident, I just put in a new CD and hope that nobody (even the person who was probably driving recklessly and caused the whole mess) is seriously injured.

13. Sometimes Karma steps in with poor mannered brats driving on public roads.

14. slobake

Never eat TNC in bed, it will stink up your whole bedroom

15. Clean it with fire is frowned upon, so I hear...

16. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Thinking is highly overrated.
    As an example, I was thinking maybe Tuna Noodle Tacos would be a good idea.

Mktrat and slobake like this.
  17. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Nothing better than idiots trying to create a secondary scene when there's already one accident.

I miss many things about being on a volunteer fire dept, but interacting with members of the public who feel like they're being 'inconvenienced' is not among them.

Tbone76 and carl h. like this.
  18. I never yell at the cops to push the obvious fender bender out of the way.

I just hop out, start pushing and ask the kind officer to help.

:)

19. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    No, but it might make for a good band name.

slobake likes this.
  20. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    That's what I would do too if I was a witness at the scene. Otherwise I'd steer clear, not rubberneck, let the authorties handle it and go on with my day.