Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

You "older" bassists.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Everytime I go into GC, there are a load of bassists there trading licks and ideas, and just hanging out. There will usually be some older cats in there that played funk and R&B in the '70's, and they always say the same thing: "Man, you young cats are way beyond us. That's one of the reasons why I rarely play in public." *** is THAT all about?! Don't these guys know that they are the FOUNDATION of the stuff we do? Larry Graham don't double thumb, and he'd whoop our asses! Man, I really respect older bass players, and it's from them that I usually get my ideas and inspiration, what's with this defeatist attitude? These guys are part of the support beams in this house of the lowend. Yesterday, these 2 older cats refused to take part in a little jam session we had @ GC yesterday, because they couldn't do the fancy stuff. That bothered me, because they played after everyone else had gone, and they were great players!

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I don't know, but to me it seems like they were just being humble. Maybe like they know they could whoop your asses like you said. But they have done it in the past, and have nothing to proove.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Search me, Chuck.

I'm the one playing out every week.......it sure as hell ain't them. :D

4. Nothing , and I mean nothing will beat a solid bass groove, and a strong kick drum. (IMO)

5. Maybe the 'older guys' have just been out of "jamming mode" for a lot of years and are not comfortable with it any more. For a lot of players jamming happens early in their careers, then playing for its own sake get replaced by playing for a purpose - rehearsals or paid gigs usually. I used to jam a lot but that was back in the late 70's. Mostly these days the only playing I do besides gigs is when I work on original tunes by myself. I've got a guitarist friend my same age who wants to start jamming again to come up with some new tunes. I think the end result will be really good but I have to admit I'm not really looking forward to it. It's a skill I'm going to have to completely relearn.

6. Right on the money, Rickbass!!

;)

b

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

...in most areas where merely role players. They held the groove together, and thier foundations enriched our encyclopedia of music knowlwdge.

Even though we pay attention to thier styles, the "older" dudes never called that much attention to themselves, or tried to stand out. They were hired to play a part in songs.

Music has evolved beyond listening to a spectator sport. The basic bar is higher as far as basic ability is concerned too.

8. I like older players, it seems no matter what they do it always sounds good.

I think the thing is that a lot of newer bassists are really really flashy and such, and the older ones lack in flash what they make up for in groove.

But I have that feeling sometimes too, I don't really like playing my bass around strangers because of usual "can you play..." stuff that really gets on my nerves. I think its that same sort of mentality.

Its unfortunate people don't appreciate things until they're gone.

9. P. Aaron - "... The basic bar is higher as far as basic ability is concerned too..."

So the older guys can't play as well, is that your point? Maybe they just don't think they need to show off! And lots of these in-store jam sessions turn into ego / testosterone competitions where bravado passes for competence. Perhaps the older guys outgrew that many years ago. Besides, I'll take an experienced player who can groove over a younger 'bass gymnast' every day of the week!

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    A lot of the jam sessions here in Atlanta, are just that, jam sessions. We have so many monsters down here, that noone shows off. Whenever I'm trying out a bass, and an older guy walks in, I'll ask him if he wants to play. That's where I've gotten most of my lowend education, and damn proud of it!

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

My thread was a response to the opening thread. I make no such assumptions about older musicians. I'm just reacting to the comment.."man you cats are way beyond us".

Maybe that's true. Just read some of the postings as to what turns people on around here.

You can have technique all day, and what the average band is looking for today in terms of ability and equipment is way more than what the demands of yesteryear where. But...that technique, and virtuosity doesn't guarantee a good song(s).

12. When you say "older players", what (approximate) age bracket are you referring to?

13. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i guess i'm in the "older " bracket (i'm 35). But I my say that I never hang out in GC and if I did i certainly wouldn't bust on younger players. just IMo

14. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    It seems older bassists are just like younger bassists. some are nice, mellow guys that love to share what they have learned, or just watch other people play, and like to jam.

Then there are the stuck up "You all suck, i'm not gonna say, but i'm gonna think it", your not worth my time, older bass players.

But younger bass players, and bass players in general are like that.

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Godoze: I'm 36.
    X Factor: I'm talking about the 45+ guys. I love hanging around older bass players. It's like going to school for free! :cool:

16. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I don't qualify as the kind of guy you're talking about, but...

What do these bass "jam sessions" consist of? A bunch of guys sitting around trading licks? Are you playing tunes, 12-bar blues, what? If another bass player asked me to jam with him, I'd ask him which one of us was going to play the drums. ;)

I'm guessing the old guys were perfectly comfortable with their abilities. They just didn't want to do whatever you guys were doing.

Or give free lessons. ;)

17. I'm 45 and for me, it's what lump said. I'm content with where I'm at with my abilities, as I'm mostly a groove player (gee, a bassist that GROOVES! No WAY! :) Nothin' too fancy from these hands.

I love watchin' and listening to the players with the technique. Friggin' amazing stuff out there, but it's something I personally don't strive to do anymore.

I'm gigging right now doing classic to modern rock, with about 10 percent original material, with a female singer who is a killer vocalist and entertainer. So I'm just happy and content layin' down the big phat groove. Woohoo!

18. I'm 45 and for me, it's what lump said. I'm content with where I'm at with my abilities, as I'm mostly a groove player (gee, a bassist that GROOVES! No WAY! :) Nothin' too fancy from these hands.

I love watchin' and listening to the players with the technique. Friggin' amazing stuff out there, but it's something I personally don't strive to do anymore.

I'm gigging right now doing classic to modern rock, with about 10 percent original material, with a female singer who is a killer vocalist and entertainer. So I'm just happy and content layin' down that Big Phat Groove. Woohoo!

19. My first post in this forum, and I echoed.

Sorry 'bout that, folks.

And now back to our regularly scheduled program....

20. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Age tends to change ones attitude a little. Younger people usually always think they have something to prove . Older cats generally just want to buy their strings (or whatever) and leave;).

How's that old joke go? Two bulls were sitting on a hill watching the herd. The younger bull turns to the older on and says; Man look at all those fine cows down there. Lets run down and ______ one of em. To which the older bull replies. No son lets walk down and _______ em all.