1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

You only really need one person to give you a standing ovation

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by RyRob813, Mar 28, 2009.

1. RyRob813

RyRob813

Jun 7, 2007
    St. Paul, MN
    Have you ever noticed that it really only takes one bold person to give you a band/performer/comedian, whatever a standing ovation?

I was just watching some Jim Gaffagen standup, (hilarious by the way,) and at the end of the show about three people in different sections of the theatre stand up, and one by one everyone else gets up.

So in theory you can be happy because you got a room on it's feet, but in reality, a lot of the time it's just monkey see monkey do in action. You can just hear the still sitting people thinking, "well I might as well get up, everyone else is doing it."

Just an interesting little sociological study I've been thinking about

2. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    It doesn't always work. I've often seen a few random people stand up within the applauding crowd and then they sit back down after they realize that no one else is going to stand up. :p

3. +1

Sometimes, though, when people do really, really well, and everyone knows it, it's just a matter of who gets to their feet first.