Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

You People Are Costing Me $$

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bassin', Aug 9, 2002.

1. It's interesting how spending time here at TalkBass causes a great amount of GAS to some people. I seem to have an issue with recordings. People talk about great recordings, great bass players, great grooves, must have CDs and, before I know it, I have a list, that's about a foot long, of recordings I need to get. So this week I took my change jar (accumulation of pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters) down to the bank and cashed them in. I then went on to Amazon.com where I proceeded to purchase CDs that totaled twice as much as what I got back in change. I'm supposed to get these CDs sometime next week, but here's a list of what I purchased:

Weather Report: Black Market, 8:30

Now one of the problems with Amazon.com is when you make a purchase, they make suggestions of what else to get. On top of that, they will give you discounts if you purchase these recordings together. I was planning on only purchasing Black Market, a recording I had on cassette years ago, when they suggested I by 8:30 as well. Jaco live with Weather Report.... how could I refuse.;)

Allman Brothers: Live at the Fillmore East

I saw a thing on the Biography Channel about Bill Graham and they talked about some of the Allman Bros. gigs at the Fillmore as being some of the best gigs ever witnessed. Someone from here also listed this recording as one of their top 3 favorites. Good enough for me.

Donny Hathaway: Live

I bought this exclusively because of all the great comments from TalkBass on Willie Weeks and the wonderful grooves on this recording.

Stanley Clarke and Friends: Live at the Greek

I saw Stanley Clarke around the time this was recorded and it was one of the best concerts I've ever witnessed.

Graham Central Station: Self titled

I'm a big fan of Larry Graham and Sly and the Family Stone... seemed like a natural.

The Brothers Johnson: Looking Out For #1, Right on Time

I have a greatest hits CD from the Brothers Johnson and I think Louis Johnson is and incredible bass player. I thought it would be interesting to hear some of their original recordings. I didn't even know they were still available.

Charles Mingus: The Black Saint and Sinner Lady

I've been on a Mingus kick lately. This is one of the recordings I don't have... along with:

Ellington, Mingus and Roach: Money Jungle

Three of the greatest names in jazz get together for a trio recording... seemed like another no-brainer.

Marcus Miller: Tales

This is the only studio recording of his I don't have. I just love his 'updated' old school vibe.

Curtis Mayfield: Superfly 25th Anniversary Edition

Again, I have a 'greatest hits' recording of Curtis Mayfield but I thought it would be interesting to get one of his albums.

Raphael Saadiq: Instant Vintage

Saadiq also has a cool updated old school vibe. I really liked Toni, Tone, Toney so I thought it would be worth a shot.

Michael Manring: Book of Flame

I already have Attention Deficit's- The Idiot King, which is a great recording, but I've never gotten a Michael Manring solo CD. I heard Thonk! was the one to get but, for some reason, it's out of print. Book of Flame also has gotten some sterling reviews, from here and elsewhere, so it seemed like a good time to make the purchase. Besides, if I don't like it, I can always go to his forum, here at TalkBass, and ask him, "what were you thinking?!" ... what an option! :p :D

And so now I'm broke... but I got free shipping!:D

Any comments?

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Bassin', I, too, have succumbed to Amazon.com's "trick" of offering "two fers". I also fall for their little list of "Other people who bought this record also bought...". Those guys are master marketers.

Oh, another trick...their amateur lists. You know the ones common folk send in such as "My favorite Latina divas" or "The ten must-have Miles Davis CDs", or "Indispensible techno-dance titles, " and so on.

Even though common folk, not pros, send these lists to Amazon, many that I have checked have been very informative in genres I don't follow and pretty much in agreement with genres I do follow.

I have a bad habit of spending way too long checking out these Amazon marketing suggestions and listening to sound bites from interesting suggestions. I've learned a lot and probably wouldn't buy any CD now without doing one of these exhaustive searches first.

Now...as for that "Allman Brothers at Fillmore East" you bought, that remains one of my all time favorite CDs ever. The Allman's "Stormy Monday" rendition of the T-Bone Walker song is probably in my top ten all time favorite songs (along with Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Riviera Paradise.")

3. Yeah, those 'amateur lists' almost cost me even more money. One of the lists had a Bill Bruford CD- One of a Kind, with Jeff Berlin on bass, as a suggestion. I listened to some of the sound samples and decided it might be just a little too 'art rock' for my tastes. Besides, I had spent too much already.;) The CD is still on my 'list to buy' because I think Jeff is a great bass player... mayber someday when my bank account recovers.:p

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Bassin-
    Thanks for reminding me I still need to pick up Black Saint & The Sinner Lady. ;)

As for everything else on your list-
    I have it all except the Stanley & Manring discs.

BTW, I just gave my drummer my "old" copies of Black Market, Tale Spinning, & Mysterious Traveler...you shoulda spoke up. ;)

I like that Graham Central Station album; I'm assuming it's their debut. Very, very Sly & The Family Stone-ish, right?
    (If you're into exploring some other DEBUT albums...check out Earth, Wind, & Fire's FIRST album. Also very Sly-ish).

The Allman Bros. Fillmore disc is a classic...that's what these present day "jam bands" are aspiring to. ;)
    BTW, I listened to the entire debut album by Chicago today(traffic was a bear going to & from the Beach today). Plenty of 'jamming' & a nod to some '60s Free Jazz on a couple of those tracks.
    NOIZ-ZAY!

Lookin' Out For #1...I bought that back when it was first issued('76?). How's that cover of "Come Together"(I forgot)?

Saadiq's disc I do like, though I'm not a fan of the lyrics/vocals.

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Ditto!

6. JimK-

Earth, Wind, and Fire is another one of those bands that I have a 'greatest hits' CD from but would certainly love to get some actual album recordings...maybe next time.

I won't be receiving these CDs until next week. Amazon will waive the shipping charge for any purchase above $50 but then it seems to fall under the, " we will ship it when we damn well want to and it's convenient" program.;) I'll let you know my impressions of the Bros. Johnson version of 'Come Together' when I recieve them.

7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    :D
    thanks for not Hijacking my thread!

those are nice albums, im making a mental note about this thread for a future "Cd's to buy" list