Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

You play a 5 string? You like it? You don't??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HotRoded, Jun 2, 2005.

1. HotRoded

HotRoded

Jun 6, 2003
    Maryland
    I am looking for a 5 string. I have already read a lot of valuable information here on talkbass, and played a few (Warwick, G&L, still have to try Lakland and many others...) but I would appreciate your input. I would like to try to keep it under $1500.

As much as I like Fender (I love my P-bass), I am looking for something else, a more 'modern' tone and feel.

Don't tell me "go to a music store and play everything", this is what I will do anyway, but other's opinion is also of interest. Tell me every you like or dislike about your Bass.

Thanks !

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would recommend Musicman or Spector.

3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Spector Euro LX - you can easily pricematch that down to close to $1500, or hit the used market for a good deal under that.

For all intents and purposes, the "Spector sound" is the "modern sound". And although that may sound like an ironic statement as the basic design is nearing its 30th birthday, Stuart and company has continuously upgraded and advanced his instruments throughout the years with pickup/electronics, woods, and design (neck graphite) upgrades. It's certainly a "classic" bass, but not at all a "stagnant" one.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    He's right. It's what I did, and I'm the smartest guy in the room.

...when I'm the only one in the room.

5. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    In your price bracket, unquestionably an SR5, wait for the dual humbuckers versions coming out soon though. I found my old SR5 a bit limited tonewise and had to borrow a friends MIA for some studio sessions.

6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Buy this (EDIT: oops looks like this one sold already. You gotta be on the ball if you want to catch one of these Laklands):

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180289

Or this:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182338

Or this (this is a particularly good one on the price/performace ratio, SR5s are killer):

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182851

Or if you save juuuuuuuust a little more one of these (these KILL):

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183065
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183040

Or if you're really unsure about 5's, and don't want to spend a lot of money try this:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181350

Really, I can't see running out an spending $1500 on a new 5 string, your money really doesn't go that far. With a 5 you need a higher quality bass than you do with a 4, and you're just so much better off getting a quality used bass. Buy from a member here that has good feedback (check the feedback forum) and you've got a good shot at getting a cherry bass for 50% of what you'd pay new. Above you've got good basses for $400, $900, $1000, $1600, and $1800 ... take your pick!

If I were in your shoes I'd save a few more pennies and get the Lakland or Sadowsky, since both should hold their value really well if you decide to resell it (just be patient and you'll almost always find a buyer on this forum). Or for a little less risk get the stingray, you can't go wrong there either.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The first fiver I ever got was a Fender Roscoe Beck V. I liked it so much I switched over to fiver completely. It's an amazingly versatile bass... but that said, it's passive (no onboard EQ), so you might not consider it "modern" enough.

8. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    In that price range, you should also very seriously consider a Lakland 55-02. I totally love mine, except it is a bit heavy (but then again, so is an SR5, which I'd also recommend if you don't mind narrower spacing). Another one might be a used Peavey Cirrus (under 1K).

9. If you want modern you could try and Ibanez EDA 905 (even tho they've been recently discontinued)

Bit too modern for some people, well, weird really

Good neck too

10. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    I've had an Alembic 5-string since '89 and it's still my #1 bass. But over the last year or so I've been re-evaluating my playing and realized just how little I really use the B string. I'm back on a 4-string kick now. I would rather play on a skinny Jazz Bass neck than anything else.

11. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I too would say the SR5 or a Lakland 5 depending on the tones you want. The Lakland 55-'s are closer to a P-bass vibe than their jazz models or the Ray, but it's still very modern sounding.

12. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    don't forget to try out Pedullas and Zons. I love my Zon sonus 5.

13. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    He said UNDER 1500, so he might find a used Sonus 5 of some kind, but that might end up being difficult. On Pedulla, of course depends on which model greatly. I think the Rapture's are a lot cheaper than the Penta's? That said, however, I too LOVE my Zons!!

14. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Not sure I've ever seen a Pedulla go for under $1500 unless it was used; having said that, I highly recommend buying used.

15. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Get a brand new totally custom (to your specs) for about your price range from LeComptebass.com. I LOVE mine. You won't find many customs that are in your price range and I'd take a custom any day over a production model, but that's just my opinion. I've had high end production models (American Fenders, G&L's, etc) and played many other high end proudction models and they cannot top my LeCompte, that's for sure!

16. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    +1 SERIOUSLY good deals to be found there!!!

17. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Look for a Dingwall ABI or ABII used.

18. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I'm gonna go a different direction. Lately, I've been on an "anti" big bucks thing. I used to have many expensive basses. Now, my main bass is a Yamaha BB605 that I got for $350. I added Bartolini pups and pre for about $300. Not because th eoriginal stuff was bad, but because I got used to the Bartolini tone from my Lakland and Modulus basses.

The bass is light, looks good, plays great and sounds great - all for about $650. Take the extra money and save it or get something else you may need. How's you rig situation?

19. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Not a bad suggestion Steve. I had a Yam BB405 for a while and I was shocked at how great the quality was for the bucks! Add some Barts and a pre-amp and you might have a winner! I really dig the new BB415 and BB615 too.

20. I have a Peavey Cirrus 5, which is great. I like everything about it, but the 35" can be a problem for some, not me, string spacing can be a bit tight for some.

But they are IMO the best/buck you can get!