you really think I'd get a Peavey???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by air_leech, May 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    a store I phoned asking for pricing on the Fender Bassman100 told me they don't carry it but can order it and...they said I'm probably better off with one of the new Peavey 1x15 combos (new TNT or Combo 115) because "it sounds better with the Warwick you have" (what???!)

now, are these amps even comparable to the Fender, or was the guy trying to push Peavey over Fender because thats what he stocks?
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If they can't even give you prices, the place sure ain't no Fender dealer.

If I wanted the Fender, I'd deal with a Fender authorized shop. Part of the price you're paying is the cost of supporting that dealer/repair network. If something needs work, the non-Fender shop isn't going to want you bringing it back there, as a rule. If the place is Peavey-authorized, then it's obvious what's up.
  3. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    The answer to both questions is yes.

Yes they are comparable and yes he is trying to sell you what he stocks. One doesn't necessary contradict the other -- it's kind of a Zen thing.

That being said, I DARE you to go try one. I double-dog dare you. I TRIPLE-DOG dare you. I DEFY you to do it.

No, I changed my mind, you must NOT try one of the Peavey combos. Don't you even think about it. I FORBID it! Go to your room!

... :)

Nobody's allowed to diss Peavey stuff unless they've ever used one.
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

well i used to use a TKO 115 as my main amp, and i still own it.

and it blows hard core nutsack. it FARTS out low notes. i mean, my SWR rig IS pretty nice and that's kinda what i'm basing my comparison on...but sheesh, EVERY other combo amp with a speaker bigger than 12" i've played on sounds better. and it's SO heavy and unwieldy.

either get a workingman combo, or a hartke kickback, or a fender bassman. all of them sound really good. (my current favorite combo amp is the harke kickback tho)

edit: oh yeah, and i've played just about every peavey combo they make. and i think they all suck.

5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

Can't judge an older model to a newer model, also the TKO's Peavey's lowest quality combo. So you're comparing a companies most deplorable amp to a companies best. Try a BAM 210 or a 115 Combo.
  6. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I like my Combo 115.
  7. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i've played a lot of the newer stuff too, and short of the firebass i think they sound bad.

but whatever....

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I've owned a lot of peavey amps, I've never played one I can say I've never liked. Judging from 2nd/3rd hand info, the TKO isn't a very good combo. Generally each company makes mistakes. I'd say taking the BXR series and replacing it with the Bassman (fender) was their mistake. The graphic EQ and 3 enchantments were awesome.

I own a Peavey Firebass, so yeah... It is better than the combos, but naturally. I don't think many combos are gonna compare to a stack setup.\

My regards,
  9. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000

sorry if I hurt your feelings for Peavey.
    if I was dissing Peavey I wouldn't have posted that and would just say "no way I'm buying anything with Peavey on it!" and would just get the Bassman with out even looking for opinons. actually the fact that I did ask here says I am not dissing the Peavey (yet...) and in addition I did try a TKO or was it TNT 115 once, it was the old ones with the ugly aluminum rattling panels, it was a POS and sounded so harsh that even my current BXR 60 sounds smooth against it.

I prefer not to have the privilage of being able to diss Peavey after owning one and finding out its a piece of crap thats why I ask here first if its an amp worth it's bucks.
  10. I've used Peavey and have witnessed others using them on several occasions.

I just have to say that they just plain .........

Oh, I can't say it without invoking the wrath of the moderator.

Put it this way, if I audition for a band and I see the name Peavey on anything, I'm walking out.
    In fact, I'll check before I even unload my rig.

Better yet, that'll be the first question I ask them on the phone.

Just seeing that logo is a real buzz killer.

11. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm glad to hear this, because I wouldn't want to waste my time auditioning someone who is in to name brands, and not sound.

Incidentally, I have had absolutely no problems with my Peavey setup. I like it very much and have received countless compliments on my tone. It's durable, reasonably priced, and has a good range of tones.
  12. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    That's why I'm taking all the logos off my rig -- too many small minds who listen with their eyes instead of their ears.
  13. OK, Peavey Rules!

Didn't mean to tweak you guys.

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I suppose that's what's generally called "listening with your eyes".

In retrospect, I have had more Peavey amplification equipment than any other brand. It's always been durable and a great deal for the price. Too bad you feel that way, but hey, it's your money. Fender hasn't been a major name in bass amplification either, but if you like reading the name "Fender" on all your gear, I suppose it's the way to go.

To miss out on a gig because of the logo on a piece of gear. Honestly...

Will C.:cool:
  15. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
  16. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I tend to agree, btw about the TKO and the TNT -- way underpowered, crappy tone, etc. But hey, they're the bottom of the product line.

I loved my Peavey Combo 115, though -- had booty for days and plenty of power. And that new BAM 210 looks juicy.

My rule of thumb is I NEVER buy the bottom of anyone's product line -- whatever you pay, you end up with lower quality gear. And that's as true about SWR Workingman stuff as anything else.
  17. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    You're thinking of the Peavey TNT 150, not 115. 115's the new version of the TNT 150. Naturally it's not going to be very good.
  18. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I honestly like my Peavey stuff better than Fender. Although, I do have a Firebass, 115BXBW, and 410TXF.

I also had a 210TX combo which was awesome, and an older practice amp (which was my first amp)
    I really need to get another little Peavey 1x10 practice amp.
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Actually, the new Bassman line may not be as tweakable EQ wise as the old BXR line, but IMHO they smoke them in tone and volume. Louder for the same wattage, better lows, better highs, and overall better tone in general.

My, now that's a rash generalization.

I own an Eden Metro Combo, and it is equal in tone to an Eden head and 210 cab, IMHO. Now if you got the WT600 and a 410 or a 210 and a 115 you would get more volume, but the quality of sound would be the same.

The same can be said for the SWR Super Redhead. It has the same tonal characteristics as one of the SWR Professional Series heads and a SWR Goliath Jr III.

The reasons to go with a head and cab instead of a combo are flexibility and/or needing more volume than the combos will put out.

And I own an old Peavey TNT 130 with a Black Widow speaker. Great sounding combo for the price, but it takes a lot of tweaking to get a tone that I like out of it.

My Eden, just leave it flat, plug in and go. SWR, boost the mids a tad, plug in and go.

I like simplicity. My SWR was simpler than my Peavey, and the Eden is even simpler than the SWR.

Guess which one I like best?;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.