1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

You sold me a broken PA System!!!

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by aproud1, Dec 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    So recently sold my PA System thats been in my basement for years. Older, lightly used Carvin. Nothing magical but solid and decent sounding. Never had any problems except a blown tweeter which I replaced after 12 years of use.

Sold it to a nice young women who wanted it for an office party and some other stuff. Met up and showed her the basics. SHe said there was a guy at her office who knew how to use stuff like this. Gave her all the extra cables I had thinking I was being a nice guy. Thought I was done with it.

She texted me a few days later:

"one of these speaker sounds weaker than the others" "We hooked up the other and it was fine, we smelled a burning smell with the one" I told her I was sorry for the trouble and to have her "guy who knew" to check it out. He did and said it was hooked up wrong and that it was probably now a problem with the speaker. She said no problem she was just going to buy another speaker.

I felt terrible. But, assumed they hooked up something wrong and blew the speaker. I thought I was done with it....

Tuesday night get a series of texts.

"Hello again, looks like we're unable to get the system hooked up right, bought a new speaker and everything sounds flat and faint. Played around with the controls, didn't change anything."

Felt terrible. Went through a few things with her. She sent some picture of how it was set up and it wasn't quite right but just needed something things moved. Then she sent me a picture of how it was originally hooked up.

Oh boy! This was one of several setups they tried and now matter how they changed the knobs it jsut didn't sound right.

Told her how to hook it up right but now she just hears white noise with crackling. Wonder why???

2. AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aproud1 likes this.
  3. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Exactly.

4. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I think you're exonerated from any liability here. :)

5. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    When anyone sells used PA gear, or pretty much anything, there needs to be a clause that the equipment is sold as is, where is, and with no responsibility of the seller for the proper operation of the equipment.

This has always been the problem with PA gear. Everyone thinks it's soooo easy, just plug up a few cords and off we go. Once during a so-called training session with a group of volunteers of a church where we had installed a stupid-simple mixing console, I was trying to explain monitor mixes and groups and they all looked at me like deer in the headlights. I tried to explain that I can't tech them the fine art of mixing in a couple of 1-hour sessions. One volunteer, a general-practice doctor, huffily said, what's so hard about this? My response was two-fold...If that's the case, then why am I here, and what would happen if I walked into your doctor's office and tried to set broken bones after a couple of quick training sessions. Oh, this guy lost his mind and stormed out of the meeting, called the office and told the boss what a jerk I was and how DARE I speak to him in such a manner. Well, the truth hurts, even in medicine. That's the day I quit doing training sessions. Of course, most all of the other sessions I conducted went better than that, but inevitably, I would be "married" to that church and that team, getting calls all hours of the day and night over simple things that were gone over, but not studied or practiced.

Anything I sell these days....ANYTHING...carries a 72-hour no-questions-asked money back policy, but after that 72 hours, in general terms, I don't know you. Not literally, but you get the idea.

6. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Amen, brother. And you're generous - my policy is 24 hours!!! :woot:

LiquidMidnight, SirMjac28 and Geri O like this.
  7. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Gee, thanx, now I'm worried...:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:. Maybe I've been lucky, no one has taken me up on the return offer. One fellow fussed about a noisy fan in a bass head that was dead quiet when it left. Regardless, I offered him $75 credit and he was very happy with that.

Take care...:D

8. Those extra cables didn't come with a warning, ''more is not better'. Totally your fault. ;)

s0c9 and aproud1 like this.
  9. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    "Lets see, here are a few cables not yet connected. And there are a few holes still unplugged, maybe they match? Yes! Then it must be right, doesn't it?"

LiquidMidnight, aproud1 and gebass6 like this.
  10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Why would anyone even think of hooking up a PA this way ?
    Moreso, how would somebody claiming to know his stuff, meaning he's used his uncle's PA at least twice in his life, how would this person be able to achieve such a horrific sight.

LiquidMidnight and aproud1 like this.
  11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Holy crap.

LiquidMidnight and aproud1 like this.
  12. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Looks okay to me....and no unsightly empty 1/4" jacks.

Riis

13. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    How did this end? Any more texts?

14. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    My response....
    hqdefault.

15. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Most excellent!

SirMjac28 likes this.
  16. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    At the very least the owners manual is downloadable from Carvin :rolleyes:

SirMjac28 and LiquidMidnight like this.
  17. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I usually sell person-to-person, as-is, cash and carry. I'll take time to demonstrate to the buyer that the item works as it's supposed to, and honestly point out any problems. My responsibility ends when the buyer drives away. Period.

Gearhead17 and jmattbassplaya like this.
  18. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    I assume this was the ?Logic? used.

No her last text was where can I take it to get it fixed. I excercised restraint and did not reply THE DUMPSTER!

Thats how I look at local cash and carry sales on both sides. If I'm spending some money on electronics though, I want to see it work first. I offered this as an option.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  19. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i work like this ^. to 'demo' the gear makes it obvious that the gear works: i think it's a good policy.

when selling online: i refund when there are problems.

20. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    IME that is how most of us work here on Talkbass. One of the many reasons I'll do trades with someone across the country.

JRA and SirMjac28 like this.