1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

you talked me out of tubes, now help me pick a SS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sharko, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Sunn Concert Bass (200watt)
    Marshall 3520 (200watt)
    Ampeg SVT200t (350watts)

any thoughts?

*** Edit***
    As I have gotten a couple disconcerting email/pms, let me amend this post:
    In the previous thread "Talk me out of tubes" I explained how I'd love a tube amp, but my needs right now are much more spartan. I need a head with some decent power and for really CHEAP and pretty quick so I can solo practice and keep up with the garage band as my previous amp bit the dust and I am now sitting in silence. Some day I'll have the amp of my dreams, but that day aint today and I've come to terms with that.

The amps listed here are not chosen at random, they are all available to me and there is something I like about each of them. I have now tried the Ampeg and like its sound/power/classic look, listened to a friend's identical Sunn and like its sound/spartan EQ, and still have not heard the Marshall in action and have pretty much discounted it at this point (I was attracted to it as a fan on my Marshall guitar amps, but found that this model had little in common with them).

I am interested in any advice from owners or former owners of these amps, and the advice from the Sunn users so far is much appreciated. Even if the advice is that all 3 of these suck, buy a comparable *blank* instead, that's fine. But, I am not really interested in responses that consist of "those all suck buy a tube dude" or PMs that consist of "buy MY blah-blah for 4x the price of the equipment you listed" because if I had the money to buy my dream amp right now I would.
    Thanks for all your help TB, even if it's tough love.

2. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    oh, into an Avatar Neo cab, just for garage band practice and maybe some open mic nights

3. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I'm biased but I'd go for the Sunn. I still need to pick me up a 70s sunn amp so I can say I have one from each decade.

4. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    I've read that the Sunn produces some 70's sounding fuzz tones without tubes, any comment?

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Sure. My thoughts are: 'Why go for gear that is so ancient'? This stuff was all pretty smokin' in its day, but that was like 30-40 years ago. Bass gear has come a long, long way since then. Why limit yourself so severely? :confused:

MM

6. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Because when I look at what's available to me and compare price and tone (as reported by Harmony Central mostly), these dinosaurs are scoring higher than most newer amps.
    Also, big, clean, modern tone is less appealing to me than "vintage" or dirty tones and tubes are out of my price range for right now.

7. I vote Eden.

Just got myself an ENX260, running that through a Yamaha 2x10... and it shakes the entire building to the foundations.

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    I really wouldn't think about buying an amp based on other people's reviews on Harmony Central. People often rave about whatever they buy, or 'think' is cool because its 'vintage'.

Sunn Concert bass -Just okay, not that good, even for their day. I've owned many of them, no power and no low end. SS Sunns sound like all midrange to me, even the Coliseum has no low end. Those that give it great reviews obvioulsy haven't played thru anything very good.

Marshall 3520- i would never consider buying one.

SVT200t- probably the best of the three, but you could do ALOT better.

.02 cents

9. Rock-Bassman

Rock-Bassman

Dec 25, 2008
    Boston
    Dude look at Gallien Krueger, they make great ss stuff... Im pretty sure their $300 backline h600 has a fuzz channel on it... and you can easily grab a 400rb used for under $300

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 there's alot of great gear available, those 3 wouldn't even be considered if I were amp shopping.

11. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I agree with the above as well
    Have played through SS Sunns, and owned the big brother Marshall; neither did it for me
    Get something recent and used; LMII for $425 used sounds like a steal or used GK, GB, Carvin, etc

12. I didn't talk you of tubes.

But newer is better, and lighter is best. Is there a bass version of the Smokey?

[​IMG]

13. I agree with this. I bought a Sunn Concert bass head and a Sunn 2x15 cab once and found the amp to be very noisy - lot's of hiss, typical of early 70's solid state. I only used it at home so maybe it would sound better in a big room, but I had no regrets selling it.

Rick B.

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

What he said - I only paid around $335 for my used 700rb-II, and it'd stomp any of those you mentioned...

- georgestrings

15. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    And you let someone talk you out of tubes because...? Use what works for you!

16. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    Just get a PA poweramp and either a Tech 21 VT Bass pedal or Sansamp BDDI. That'll give you some tube sound.

17. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    this was established in the "talk me out of tubes" thread that led to this one

18. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    funny, I didn't see any Eden amps in the op

19. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC