Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

You tell me what to do... SWR or EDEN 15"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vlad335, Oct 6, 2003.

1. SWR Son of Bertha

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Eden D115XLT

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Sell the Goliath and go Avatar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    The search continues....

I have a SWR Goliath III but I think I need another 8 ohm 15" cab to mate with it. I have considered getting rid of this cab numerous times but the Goliath has a certain something that I like, a nice upper mid/treble edge that I dont hear out of other cabs I've tried. It is also very fast and responsive. The downside is the bass. It breaks up pretty badly and farts if I push up the bass knob. I need some low end!

I have done searches on these forums and have noted posts saying that the Son of Bertha has less bottom than the Goliath III! (Ouch!) That is why I am considering the Eden D115XLT. Has anyone A/B'ed these cabs? Which has better bottom?

I have a credit from American Musical Supply so I am limited in these two choices...

On a side note... I am looking to drive my rig with a new QSC PLX amp I plan to order and a Sansamp RBI. 1200 watts mono bridge should do it. I am using a Crown Macrotech 1200 amp right now which sounds great but I cant take the weight anymore. My rack is like an engine block and I dread moving it anywhere. Should I get the PLX1200 or 1600?

I leave it to the experts. Should I stay all SWR or add the Eden in the mix? You decide.

2. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Best and simplest advice I can offer is use your ears. :D
    Go to a music store and try them both before you decide.

That aside, I can offer an opinion and some points to consider... I haven't heard either cab, but I've heard the SWR Triad which includes the 15". My opinion is it's best suited for use as a heavy kickbag with steel-toed boots.

When mixing and matching smaller cabs, my experience has been that cabs from the same manufacturer match up better together. Other people may prefer mixing the different sounds. You may prefer the sound of the Eden by itself, but when mixed with your Goliath the SWR may sound better.

Do you play 4-string or 5-string? Detuned? Most 15" cabs have a hard time generating SPL on the low notes of a B-string, even if they keep a tight bottom together while doing it weakly. If you need the bottom for a low B you may want to consider an 18 instead of a 15.

my $.02, YMMV

3. vlad335

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    " I've heard the SWR Triad which includes the 15". My opinion is it's best suited for use as a heavy kickbag with steel-toed boots."

LOL!!! THanks Mitch. I appreciate your response.

I use a Warwick Corvette Standard 4 string. We tune down a half-step and use drop D tunings as well. My band plays alternate hard rock mostly... Godsmack, Rage, etc.

Maybe the Big Ben? Hmmm....

4. In theory, properly stated specs would help you decide this, if you can't audition the cabs in person.

A cab with larger dimensions (volume) should have a lower usable frequency response, but the driver design also plays a part in this. If you could compare the true frequency response including
    -3db down point, along with the sensitivity (efficiency) spec (1 watt at one meter white noise input) and the maximum SPL at rated input power, then you would have something to go on. This might be a bit more than most companies are publishing these days, however. Good luck!

5. By the way, is Rolling Rock cheaper there?

6. Get the SWR, it'll match the goliath.;)

7. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have the SWR WM 1X15. It is a good lightweight, fast 15. The Son of Bertha is the pro series 15. It will set you back 200 more. The TRiad is designed to be a full range cab, not well suited for stacking with a Goliath, IMHO.

8. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Another thought...the Avatar 15 only goes down to 50hz. The SWR WM 1x15 goes to 40hz. Could make a diff for low B.

9. vlad335

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    When I lived in Florida, RR was way overpriced. Cost as much as Heniken and other premium beers there. Cost about 11.00 case here.

BTW. We pee in that stream...

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Fifteens suck so much [tone] in general that it's not going to make any difference. You might as well get a Crate.

11. I have no experience with Eden 15's but I do own the SWR sob. I pair it with the Goliath Jr. III. With my cabs, both are rated at 45hz. When I a/b'd them, the 15 just sounds deeper IMO. I gigged with these for the first time last weekend, the 15 didn't seem to break up at all. I play a 4 string, some drop D tunings. I had a ton of compliments on my rig...for sound and looks. I usually don't care how my gear looks, but hey girls were coming up and checking it out too...that's never a bad thing...must be the chrome. :bassist:

12. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Munji, some day you've gotta figure out that some people actually like the sound of 15's and aren't just poor misled sheep.

13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You know, I USED to think (and thought I would go to my grave believing) that a 15 paired with a 4x10 was the shiznit, until I had an opportunity to play a large stage with TWO 4x10's with the 15 there to A/B during soundcheck. Holy crap, I got MORE low end from the coupling of two 4x10's than I did with a 4x10 and a 1x15 (all Aguilar cabs), and the low end was punchier, more solid, and beefier. There was no "subsonic benefit" that I thought I'd get from the 15. So, I sold my 15 . . . and probably won't use one again for a long, long time, ESPECIALLY if I'm going through the PA, which I usually do. Aside from sounding better, the 4x10 throws much less low end to the back of the room, and the soundman loves me for it.

14. I've never been a big fan of 15s, especially by themselves (although i admit that i am biased since most of the 15s ive played have been in crappy single speaker combos). Personally i believe that the majority of your tone will come from your 10s, and the 15 is there for just what you mention- just to add more low end, and thats about it, similarly to just adding a good subwoofer to any pro audio setup. I havent had the privilege to work with any eden or aggies but from what ive heard the D115XLT is a damn fine top of the line (no rhyme intended) cab, so i think it would help you out. Also a Bag End system is well known for satisfying your low-end needs.
    Your best bet is to just try stuff out though, before you spend a fortune and youre still not happy with the sound. I had to look around a long time trying to find a good 410 with bottom end (my band plays alot of that really low C# crap :D ) but i eventually settled with an avatar 212 since i just dont like the muddy tone of 15s, just my own opinion, of course.

Peace.

15. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    WORD!!!! Two 410's will move more air and produce considerably tighter low end than a single 410 and a 115 ever will. IMO of course!!

16. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    I voted for the Eden cab. I use a 4-10(GK) & 1-15(Eden XLT) when we play live shows. When we rehearse, I only use the 4-10, so I know that it's plenty capable of throwing good low notes from the B-string. Using the 15 requires adjusting the eq in boomy clubs (HEY club owners! There's more to being a live music venue than just building a stage! There, I feel better now).

I add the cab to get my 4-ohm load. It could easily be any setup. Alot of the "me" blows out of the 2 Mackie powered 18 inch subs in the PA.

I am quite fond of the Eden 15 cab. I don't know if I was lucky enough to get a good one, or they all perform as well as mine. It moves me.

17. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Amen, brother! Amen! Can I get an amen?

18. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Amen, Munji . . . :D

19. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Thankewwww.

20. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Neither one of those cabs are real good examples of a 1x15 ... To my ear the drivers they use are real 'dry' sounding. No real presence and not really a big bottom either ... To try to fake their way into presence, they add a horn. I suppose that 's the 'modern' sound. Really, if they'd just start with a higher quality driver, they'd have a better (sweeter) albeit more expensive cab ...

OK in a 4x10 I guess but in a single 15 it seems to mey ear like there is a real gap between the 15 and the horn. Sort of Boom-Tink. ... not in my cab thanks very much!

If you have to have a branded cab, I'd opt for an EV equpped Mesa. I heard Johnny Mars (Bill Kirtchen) using a Mesa 1x15 and 2x10 setup a while back. Small (200 seat) club, no house system. Really strong sounding rig. ... and strip off the Mesa logo and it wouldn't look funky under your 4x10.

otherwise, go custom cab and drop in a higher quality (JBL or EV) driver.

Brownell in Portland, OR makes a killer 1x15 cab designed for the JBL 140 (E/K 140). SeakerReconing.com Note there isn't much info on this site other than their contact info. I dealt with Mike for a recent recone. I'm sure he can talk about the cab. I listened to a guy using a single one of those in a small club and it rocked.

Now for something completely different - how about a 2x12 ?

I'm sort of a 15's for ever type. Very vintage kind of tone I'm after and that bias shows no doubt... But I do have a 5 and my cab's really don't do it justice. The cab's themselves are small and tuned with a pretty high drop off. That was on purpose as I used them as monitors, side stage or behind the mains and let the FOH system do all the talking last time I was on the road.
    ... So I snagged Brendan's MM 2x12 out of the GFS. I'll be doing some A/B with that and my pair of 1x15 cabs). Hopefully next week sometime.

I expect that the 2x12 will have a deeper, more focused low-end and that the 15's will have a more pleasing upper mid 'presence' peak. The 15's will be a lot more efficient and the MM cab will probably go louder.

They will probably sound like hell in combination as the 15's are a real vintage 70's kind of sound and the MM is more 'hifi'.

It'll be an interesting test for me, to see if I can get modern stuff to bend into my vintage taste - or if I really need to upgrade my ears and live with a modern sounding rig ... I really want to get a deeper low end to handle the 'B' string and retain the other vintage aspects of the tone. So we'll see. Good luck in your search and if you find one of those Mesa 1x15's I'd give that a listen.