1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

You Think Your Team Has A Crappy Name?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, May 5, 2005.

1. Every time I try to type a reply I run into that whole 'political correct' thing that spawned this evil mess to begin with.

2. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    A cat on crack? That team got to be crazy good... cat like reflexes and strangth of someone on crack...

just remeber... some baseball players (ehem Tim "the rock" Raines ehem) slide head 1st because they have coke in the back pocket... and thats why baseball used to be awesome...

The rock!

Cheers

3. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    The Bugeaters. Glad we changed that.

4. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Cracker Cats are dudes living in trailer parks near
    Ocala FL. ( Ta-booom)

GOLD is lame. Warriors was fine, and certainly had nothing
    to do per se with Native Americans, any more so than the
    Roundheads, or Viking warriors.

Dartmouth, alma mater of Peter McSmug, did this back when
    my brother was in Grad school there. They are no longer
    the Dartmouth Indians, the are the "Big Green". Hahvud uses
    Crimson as a nick. Perhaps Marquette is trying to emulate
    the elitist attitude. Go for the Gold! Beat Crimson! Lame.

5. Williams College, they are the Effs. What an eff is, is a purple and gold cow, named after the founder of the school.

We're the Sabres, good thing we go by the name of the school though.

6. Marquette Gold?

The Jesuits, while very good educators, aren't the most creative bunch, I suppose.

Though I honestly believe our NFL team, the Houston Texans, is the stupidest pro sports name this side of the Phillies.

7. soccer teams and WNBA teams tend to have the dumbest names ever.

8. Oh yeah, whoever said go sharks, the Wild are better, our logo is sweet(but our 3rd jersey's suck sadly).

9. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    A lot of people don't know, but hippos are vicious, vicious animals. Boat capsizing, passenger mauling, victim drowning, tusk impaling creatures. And extremely territorial.

Do NOT mess with the hippos.

No, really.

Matt

10. I think the oddest name in the AFL teams list is the Fremantle Dockers. Freo's a port city (I think), so it makes sense though.

Another one could be the Pt. Adelaide Power... I'm not sure why they picked that.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Nice call Brad. I bought myself a UCSC hat. I also got myself a UC-Irvine Anteaters hat. I collect hats of colleges with cool mascot names.

-Mike

12. Especially when they're hungry, hungry.

13. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    See my previous post *L*

The Evergreen State College in Olympia, WA is the Geoducks... yes... a large clam...

14. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    This quote makes me sad... Lord Stanley's cup shall not raised on high for all to see.. even in Tampa..

15. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I can't remember what college it is, but one college has the "Whirlies," which is supposed to be a baby toronado.

16. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    My high school had the worst ever, I thought. The plural of elk is 'elk'. As in: one elk, two elk. Yet somehow we were the Burleson Elks.

I thought that was terrible. Even worse than the Weatherford Kangaroos. Then I married a woman, whose school had the Atlanta Rabbits...That's right. Rabbits. Somehow that makes elkS a bit less lame by comparison.

I am also amused by the team from my favorite place in the world. In Kerrville, Texas, there is a team named, not after an animal, but after part of an animal. The Tivy Antlers.

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yeah, I have gone out a few times to catch some geoducks. I don't eat them, but some of my friends do.

We play basketball at the TESC gym. I don't mind the gym, but I don't care much for the "Greeners". Greener = student who attends TESC. Usually the earthy tree-hugging, granola head types who wear birkenstocks and shower once or twice a month.

-Mike

18. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    How about the Long Beach State Dirtbags?

What does a Dirtbag do? It's like gold---it just sits there.

I think any college or university that chooses a non-plural name for their mascot should lose their accreditidation (sp?).

The Tulsa Golden Hurricane?
    The Stanford Cardinal?

Gimme a break.

The Baylor Bears are where it's at. Best mascot out there.

NewBearHead.

19. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    LOL I didn't notice you were from Lacey...

I went to WWU... we had Fairhaven College, which was a more hippie version of TESC... They wanted to take over one of the dining halls (of 3... for 4000 students who live on campus) and turn it into a dance studio for that part of the university...

20. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    the okrahoma [bundle of sticks]'s ....