Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

you thoughts on Fender Stainless Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Sep 25, 2003.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm looking at getting a set of these, and would like to hear both the pros and cons about these strings

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I tried a set a once a while back, and what I remember most was that the tension was pretty high on them. I can't even remember the type of set that I bought either. I pretty much used them for a day or so before taking them off. I prefer to stick with TI flats because of the low tension.

3. They are indeed high tension strings but that's why I use them on my P-Bass clone. I have very low action on it and the high tension means no rattle or buzz.

4. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm going to be putting the fender flats on a Dano DC bass

5. I had a set that came used on my MIM J fretless. I liked the feel of them, and noted the tension is indeed high. They are big strings... kinda like the cables used to suspend the Golden Gate Bridge.

It is my understanding these are "thumpers" for P-bass guys. That makes them interesting to me, for my P is thumpless these days.

My next concern is the life of the string. I've been playing the same set of TI Flats for 2.5 years now, and they sound every bit as nice as they did when new. Dunno if the Fender flats can do this or not. The TI Flats are reputed to be more "middy" toned.

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I like Fender flats. Definitely high tension, although they come in three gauges. The "medium" set, .050-.105 feels about like the LaBella Jamerson set. IOW, very stiff. I had an audition with a blues/rock outfit a month or two back, and I used these strings. I thought it sounded great. Didn't get the gig, but I was able to hear them at high volume through my rig, and just as I expected, I had good thump, deep lows, and decent definition. They have strong mids, too, but a very different character from the TI's.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think they make them by turning down #4 steel re-bar in a lathe. They're pretty danged stiff.

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I have them on one of my J's. I use that one for rootsy rock, y'all-ternative, thumpy, bluesy, dub, etc. Anyhwere I need big, but not ringy.

The tension is stiff but that does enable a very low action. Nice strings for what I use them for. I tried them on a fretless J but took them off in favor of D'Addario Chromes. Chromes, like TI JF's have a more complex harmonic thing going for them. Really adds to the overall fretless sound IMO.

The Fender flats are a real good choice for what I use them for. Next time out, I might try the Jamerson's just to check them out.

9. That is good to know.

I had my only set of 9050M flats on my MIM J fretless and it sounded as dead as the career of (former) Governor Davis from California.

I put on a set of DA XL-220 rounds and the fretless came alive with mwah, but is thin sounding. The rounds are starting to do damage to my rosewood board, so I want to put flats back on it.

Perhaps I will move the 9050M to the P bass, and take its TI Flats and put them on the fretless.

10. 2nd question: what is the life span of the 9050 stainless flats?

My TI Jazz flats have lasted 2.5 years and still sound great.

11. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    tough one to answer. For me, they seem to last forever. I don't use a mute and I'm looking to sort of emulate that Jamerson, Dunn vibe with that particular setup. My current set has been on that J for maybe a year. The last set was on an L1000 for maybe three years or so. I did a bunch of dub and blues tracks with that axe and never saw a reason to change the strings. Long as they intonate and stay in tune I'm OK.

I feel they get better as time goes on. That J sounds killer through a silver face Bassman into one of my single 15 bins. Real sweaty, greasy gin mill vibe !

12. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    yeah my 905o flats are bright sounding, but I've only had them on my Danelectro DC bass for a week...I hope they will lose their brightiness

13. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I thought the Dano bass itself was a little brite. Kind of a cool sound though. The strings will mellow out a bit as they age. Play the heck out of them for a while and they should sound better.

14. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    yeah my dano has a great old school low-fi sound. I found if I play it hard i can get some nasty sounds from it. Pulse it's super light! I'm digging the dano tone:D

15. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Love TI's I just put them on my P-bass:D The 9050's should last a good long while. I know several players over at the FDP Forum have kept their 9050's on for quite sometime. Several players in the local scene seem to really like them as well.

16. 2 years and counting on this set, I prefer them after a couple of gigs and the sweat has worked into the strings, too thin sounding when they're new. This set up is on a MIA 96 Fender P bass, string through the body. Last time I changed, the e string just came apart at the bridge in the case, opened it one day and the string was broke, hasn't happened since. Sounds like I might want to try the TI jazz flats unless you get fret buzz, hate it.:bawl:

17. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    I have been back and forth between roto RS77 jazz
    flats and the 9050's. After several months I have concluded that the Fenders are the way to go. Both are good strings it is just that the Fenders have a more lively response. I have SD/QP pups installed in my P-bass. I use the ML gauge Fenders and the Roto's were heavy gauge. I first found the tension very tight on both sets, but after playing them for several months I have adjusted to it. I put a set of standard GHS boomers back on for about two weeks. Yea the tension was much less with the rounds and there was a dynamic with the rounds and the way the strings responds, But I found that I really preferred the Flats to rounds. I took my bass with the flats and was playing through a Peavey 1x15 combo, this bass sounded great through that amp with flats. The store had a nice MIM P-bass that was set up ok with the stock Fender super-bass 7250 strings. I had these strings on my bass when I got it and have over the last three years tried lots of different strings. Not sure why, but many people say the stock Fender rounds are crap strings, and they may be if the only ones you have tried have been on basses hanging on the wall. These strings were fairly fresh and sounded great, very similar to the flats but with less tension, almost a bouncy feel and a nice sustain
    with not a lot of unwanted highs that you would eq back out. I will be using Flats but if the tension puts you off try the 7250 rounds, very similer tonal qualities, although they do not have that flats thump.

18. I'm still hunting for my missing thump.

The MIM P got TI Flats and a Duncan SPB-2 replacement pickup almost as soon as I bought it. I can't tell if the loss of thump is the TI strings or the pickup. I replaced the Duncan with a DiMarzio DP146, and got a better sound, but still no thump.

19. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I personally love my MIM P strung with TI's, however they are a "middy" sounding string. I like that because it cuts through the mix very well. I suspect that you would get more thump with Fenders or LaBella's. Just something for you think about.

Dan :bassist:

20. You might consider the stock P pup, put it back in a see if you get "THUMP"

[​IMG]
    Treena