You too could listen to U2, but you really don't want to, do you?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    It is true: the number of people who hate a band increases proportionately to the number of its fans. I never liked U2 but have owned a couple albums, The Joshua Tree, and Under a Blood Red Sky. The first one I find listenable about 2/3 of the way. The second, I find a mediocre live album with marginal musicianship at best.

That's not a lot to go on, but it's enough to surprise me that U2 got 5 Grammys this year. It's amazing, U2 is now more mainstream than ever. It's the curse that comes with too much success, they're everybody's favorite band, which automatically means I don't like them.

But it's not just that. It's also the knowledge that Around the time U2 showed up, there were also a bajillion bands who were cooler, smarter, more real and had way better songs than U2; The Smiths, to name just one. From the commercial side, Duran Duran has always been in a totally different league.

The main thing that allowed U2 to become this huge iconic band they are now is that they outlived their competition and somehow successfully gave the impression they were not always the same old band pushing the same old songs by "reinventing" themselves.

It's a good thing Bono is using all his notoriety to try to do some good in the world, because for me, the music alone ain't cuttin' it.

Questions? Comments? Complaints?:D
  2. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    well, the bigger a band gets the number of people who hear them increases, and as such the number of people who like them does, and so does the number of people who dont like them. such is life.
  3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I like 99% of U2 songs. It maybe be a pretty high number, even to a U2 fan.
  4. steve21

steve21 Banned

I dislike U2. Their songs do nothing for me, Bono is a stupid person, and the rest of the band does nothing good IMO.
  5. +1

Bands that get uber successful like them are never good musicians.
  6. Have been a massive U2 fan since 4th grade (about 20 years ago). I agree that with increasing popularity comes people who dont like a band "just because"... my mate is one who cant stand U2, but cant give a reason for it. I doubt it is the music, more likely the fact that they are popular, so it seems "cooler" to not like them (the alternative perspective). I dont buy into that - Im not ashamed of the music that takes my interest and am proud of the fact that I can access heaps of different varieties of music and make a choice of what I do and dont like based on the music alone (currently Brown Shark gives a tick to Wolfmother and a big cross on Jack Johnson).

I must admit that the first time I listened to HTDAAB, I told my wife my gut instinct was that it sounded like "U2 by numbers", as in lots of delay laden guitar, eighth note bass and snare/kick/snare/floor drums. But after listening to it consistenly for the past year or so, I think its their most developed work to date - songs like City Of Blinding Lights, Miracle Drug and Sometimes You Cant Make It have grown on me to the point where they generate an emotional response (usually a desire to play!). I also love the straight ahead rock of All Because Of You and Love and Peace, songs that make me want to dance and sing around the house. But as an entire album you can listen all the way through, I think U2 have already acheived this on Achtung Baby, and they missed the mark with a few of the fillers on HTDAAB (original of the Species and Yahweh in particular - its obvious Bono rushed the lyric and vocal performance on both of these).

U2 are touring Australia next month and Im going to see them (twice) for the first time - the feeling of expectancy is similar to when your wife is pregnant! They are still the greatest band on earth to me, and Im sure millions of others around the world.
  7. Who cares? Wouldn't it be better to spend our time listening and enjoying the music we like rather than focusing and complaining about the stuff we don't?

(Says he who just spent $100 on a U2 ticket) :)
  8. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    yah, bands like the beatles and Led Zeppelin were really terrible...:rolleyes:
  9. MarztekMilita

Feb 10, 2005
    I personally don't care for them except for "Sunday Bloody Sunday". That song was pretty good IMO. But other than that, :ninja: . Bono is the main reason for me though, the music is alright, but his voice just hits me the wrong way.
  10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    True, but can we put it into perspective and chew the fat about it a bit?

I don't dislike U2 simply because a lot of people like them, but it seems that this band has got to a point where it's cool to like them because everybody else likes them, and there has to be more to it than that.

Joshua, I'll try to scope out some more recordings. Maybe I've missed something.
  11. Yes, and in light of this well made point, I retract my statement and add that I dislike emo :bag:
  12. MurdocRocks

Jun 18, 2005
    Torrance, CA
    I hated Bono ever since he got all spiritual and his ego increased exponentially. Not that he hasn't done good things, but he seems kind of like an egotistical prick. :)
  13. You haven't. They suck. And for anyone that thinks I'm saying this because of the cool factor...I've hated U2 longer than you've been listening to them. I'll throw in a ":) " so that no one gets offended.

14. The only song that they have that I can really get into is Bullet in the Blue Sky, but that's probably because it doesn't sound like their signature sound to me.
  15. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I wasn't going to put my opinion in initially, but, +1. I haven't been listening to them all my life, but I've heard most of it, and the most I've heard is all bad.

Terrible band. Bono's doing good things though. :)
  16. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I don't like them because many of their songs sound the same.
  17. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I really like U2, but only the early stuff. Listen to anything off Boy or War. IMHO, The Joshua Tree was their last good album, and they where already starting to go decline.

I like a couple of songs since then, like "A Beautiful Day", but it would take a lot to convince me to buy an album.
  18. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Love the early stuff (1980-1989), love the new stuff in spots. Great, great band.
  19. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    They lost me after "War". "Joshua Tree" didn't do it for me and I was no longer a fan. I saw them on tour w/ "War" and really liked them. Too bad.
    Ireland was having enough problems then, why not concentrate there instead of here?
  20. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Their popularity is all the result of a conspiracy.