Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

You will be shocked by my Bass recording rig.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Hog Legg, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Hog Legg

Hog Legg

Jun 24, 2004
    I've recorded bass tracks for the past 17 years with some of the best Engineers and Producers in Texas. Everything from R&B ,Hip Hop ,Rock and Country. I've used everything under the sun to try and capture "the tone" (rented ,borrowed and purchased). I use to show up to the studio with a 10 foot closed in trailer full of bass gear for recording. Now I have 1 piece of gear (besides my old Fender bass) and I think you will be shocked ..................a Mesa/Boogie DC-5 1x12 tube combo guitar amp. I was hoping to be the first to throw my discovery into everybody's ears. There about $700 used and the've been discontinued... (not hard to find one )try it out......"what works for me -may not work for you"......sweet tube tone and the speaker is stiff enough that it gives it that self made compression feel at recording volumes. Just enough of the right tone shaping knobs and EQ sliders to tweak without over tweaking. I garuntee it to spice up any recording with Digital coldness ...bass will suddenly become a very important part of the mix.

2. one3rd

one3rd

Jul 10, 2002
    Minnesota
    Isn't bass always a very important part of the mix?

3. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    That's interesting stuff. I would've never tried that.

4. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I can see how it would work. The natural compression coupled with the rolled off lows and midrange bump of a guitar amp would give the bass a nice presence in the mix.