1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

YOU. With the hair.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by curbowkid, Aug 22, 2012.

1. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Now that I have your attention. I need your opinion. I've been carving my custom bass for the past few days in a carving orgy of fun. But I'm stuck.

I just finished carving the joint area of the back of the neck, and I want to tie the bottom horn into the overall cut in. But at the same time I think the current carve in is nice and I don't want to chance splitting the purple heart stringers any more than I have. Anyways, I want feed back! After this, I'm done carving this bad boy

2. 0volts

0volts Supporting Member

Looks good to me, but in the interest of full disclosure, I'm not a Luthier......

3. ...do you play one on TV?

4. 0volts

0volts Supporting Member

No, on TV I play an opinionated forum reader who enjoys posting on threads where I can add no specific value or expertise. So far its working out pretty good for me.

5. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    hey OP, got more pics or step by step description of how you went about building this guy? It nice and people could learn, but the other build thread is a little lacking...

6. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    I wasn't able to document the build very much at all because I did a majority of the work in my final months in high school and they have a strict no electronics policy. So I couldn't supply more pics. It's not even fully done yet. On my next build I'm going to do alot more documentation. Sorry

7. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    No need to apologize! I'm just thinking that this is a nice bass with nice clean work and others could learn from it. It's all good... :)

8. Personally, I would tie the bottom horn to the cut . . .

9. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Thank you :) I have next to nothing as far as tools at home go. Couple cheap Benny's rasps, a small pocket knife, sandpaper and a very very nice Swiss made scoop chisel my wood shop teacher gave me. Just doing the best with what I have. I'm happy to know its been noticed

10. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    If I am gonna tie the bottom horn into the carve out. It's going to be like this

I like Fodera alot and they are becoming more and more my main inspiration for the carving work I do and the attention to super fine detail

11. abemo

abemo

Feb 27, 2012
    Arvada, co
    Asthetically it'd be nice to tie the cut to the horn. That said, its all about how it feels in your hands. If it feels good as is, leave it, if its noticeable at the higher frets, then adjust the cut.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I wouldn't carve it back as far as the pencil line, but maybe take off that little beak and straighten the contour to continue into the existing horn.

[​IMG]

13. VTheHTyphoon

VTheHTyphoon

May 4, 2010
    I honestly didn't even realize you were a fellow Rhode Islander until mention of the store Benny's haha Bass is looking awesome.

14. Nidan

Nidan

Oct 31, 2008
    Duluth , Ga
    my 2 cents , carry the line so it is a smooth arc, looks like you are headed in that direction .

Nice work by the way!

15. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I prefer the consistent curve too -- like the Fodera pic posted above.

16. MrArose13

MrArose13 Commercial User

Aug 15, 2011
    Atlanta Georgia
    Owner/Luthier:RoseBud Basses & Guitars LLC
    Hey curbowkid:

I would say, (simply due to the angle of your lower horn) you have 5 possibilities. To get something like the Fodera, look at the dark red line. I think the lower horn won’t allow the same sweeping “J” shape, but you can get close. I made some lines of my opinion and others check it out. Hope it helps.
    :bassist:

image-1424718665[2].

17. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    It was like that before and it looked kinda cheep and blockish. That's why I decided to start carving it. I wouldn't go deep, just enough to continue the neck in and get that nice rounded off contour. It feels nice in the hand except the lower part of the wave kinda intrudes. That's why I wanted tocontinue the curve so it would be both comfortable and authentically pleasing

18. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Yep I'm walking distance! Thanks man!

19. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Thank you :bassist:

20. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    That middle red line is doing it for me! The deeper one would be too deep into the body but thank you that is greatly helpful! Thank you