1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT I FOUND

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by White_Knuckles, Mar 8, 2005.

1. White_Knuckles

White_Knuckles

Oct 6, 2004
    Let's just say I might of gone to my granparents house and I could of found a 1959-62 fender bassman 50 combo amp. This is my second bassman 50, the other being my 68' fender euro head I got at a pawn shop for $150.

The combo has been modified a bit like how instead of 4X10 it has a single 12 for some reason and the cover had been changed over the origional tweed. What do I think I could get for it??? I got it for the right price. :hyper:

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    That is a mediocre bass amp, but a GREAT Gutiar Amp! I don't know the market right now but check some gutiar collectable web sites,

3. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    I'd say not much, if you're trying to pass off a Bassman 50 as a "1959-1962" amplifier.

4. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Are you sure it's a "50"? The "Bassman 50" was introduced in '65 when CBS took over Fender Electric Instruments Company.

- Frank.

5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    It was later than that, yes? Wasn't it like '68 or something?

6. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    I don't think the combo will be that great if someone swapped out a 4 x 10 and just put a single 12 in. Sounds like they gutted the bassman for its speakers and threw in a 12 so it would continue to work.

Vintage bass amps just don't seem to be as valuable as vintage guitar amps. I know a vintage fender guitar amp that is 2x12s that goes for $1500. I also saw a vintage fender basss 2x10 and 1x18 cab with a vintage fender amp going for $400 used.

7. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Either you keep it or not, this gives you the opportunity to start a homemade restoration project (what I would definitely do), go back to original speaker configuration with as close as possible speakers, re-tolex, re-knob (if necessary), re-tube, etc. Just my 0.02. Congrats!

ANDRUCA