Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT I FOUND

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by White_Knuckles, Mar 8, 2005.

1. White_Knuckles

White_Knuckles

Oct 6, 2004
    Let's just say I might of gone to my granparents house and I could of found a 1959-62 fender bassman 50 combo amp. This is my second bassman 50, the other being my 68' fender euro head I got at a pawn shop for $150.

The combo has been modified a bit like how instead of 4X10 it has a single 12 for some reason and the cover had been changed over the origional tweed. What do I think I could get for it??? I got it for the right price. :hyper:

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    That is a mediocre bass amp, but a GREAT Gutiar Amp! I don't know the market right now but check some gutiar collectable web sites,

3. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    I'd say not much, if you're trying to pass off a Bassman 50 as a "1959-1962" amplifier.

4. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Are you sure it's a "50"? The "Bassman 50" was introduced in '65 when CBS took over Fender Electric Instruments Company.

- Frank.

5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    It was later than that, yes? Wasn't it like '68 or something?

6. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    I don't think the combo will be that great if someone swapped out a 4 x 10 and just put a single 12 in. Sounds like they gutted the bassman for its speakers and threw in a 12 so it would continue to work.

Vintage bass amps just don't seem to be as valuable as vintage guitar amps. I know a vintage fender guitar amp that is 2x12s that goes for $1500. I also saw a vintage fender basss 2x10 and 1x18 cab with a vintage fender amp going for $400 used.

7. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Either you keep it or not, this gives you the opportunity to start a homemade restoration project (what I would definitely do), go back to original speaker configuration with as close as possible speakers, re-tolex, re-knob (if necessary), re-tube, etc. Just my 0.02. Congrats!

ANDRUCA