You'd Like

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Adam Barkley, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I got a weird idea on how to find more music that suits my tastes. Page and I suggest music to each other based on what we believe the other would like.

The purpose of this thread is do a very similar thing but use the group conscious of TB instead of just our two similarly-warped minds. Simply post a group name and someone else post a suggestion of something you might enjoy.

Example: Mr Bungle. "If you liked Mr Bungle's California, You might like the Secret Cheifs 3 album Book of Horizons".
    Example: Kyuss. "You might like the band's Dozer or Mustasch"

Legal samples/mp3s would be a plus.

I'll start. Emerson Lake and Palmer.
  2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Egads man! I like this thread idea... but you couldn't have picked a trickier band to compare against.

You could check out Emerson's early band "The Nice." They did a show with King Crimson w/Greg Lake and that's how the connection was made between those two.

Also, I don't know if you looked into any of Rick Wakeman's solo career stuff.

Lets face it, 75% of Emerson, Lake and Palmer is insane keyboard/composition... so Wakeman might be cool for you.
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

You got one?
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Kinda. I was thinking about it... I'd like to find more bands that make use of a violin or cello player in hard rock/metal sort of way. Ala David Cross era King Crimson or Sleepytime Gorilla Museum.

5. Arcade fire. Not hard rock, but they use a lot of strings in that dancey post punk style.

I like Neutral Milk Hotel. GO!
  6. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    If you like "Tarkus" by ELP, you might like "Relayer" by Yes.

If I like Charlie Hunter's "Songs from the Analog Playground", what else might I like?
  7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Thanks Smash. I am constantly searching for new music and searching the TB archives and reading the recordings forum threads help a lot.

Mat- Not hard rock for the most part, but they are totally cello based; Rasputina. They do distort their signal ocassionally though. Also I've heard a little Apocolyptica but I think they are more like a Metallica cover band with four cellos.

I'll back up Freaky Fender about the Arcade Fire. For a indie type band they are pretty good.

You might also like the tense moments of Godspeed You! Black Emperor. All their songs are pretty similar and are typical of post rock (i.e. slow building to a huge release). Might be worth a listen if nothing else.

I can't give an any input on Evyind Kang (Evyind Kang : violin :: John Zorn: sax?) but I've heard great things.
  8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  9. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    The Decemberists. Though you probably already have them. Their new album is most excellent.
  10. I do. Along with all their other stuff. Are you gonna see them in october?
  11. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI

Karl Denson's Dance Lesson #2?
  12. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Oh man, when GY!BE are on, they are really on! Check out lift yr. skinny fists like antennas to heaven! It's my favourite album by them so far.
  13. + 1
  14. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    No, I'm going to be 200 miles away at that time, unfortunately.
  15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ha, oh man, I almost bought an Arcade Fire CD today at Media Play. I saw them on Conan, they do seem pretty kick ass. Damn Neurosis, sidetracking my indie side!

Thanks for the links Smash, I'll check those bands out! :bassist:

(Haven't see you posting that often... that's usually a good sign... it means the real life music must be going pretty good :bassist: )
  16. Can anyone suggest me some stuff a la Bela Fleck and the Flecktones or Mahavishnu? Funk/fusion/jazz/alternative (really alternative) with non traditional intsruments via violin or banjo.

I'm also looking for stuff with really good horn arrangements like Trey anastasio's stuff
  17. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    You might like Strength in Numbers. You actually probably will like this as it is nothing but Nashville session cats and includes Bela Fleck and Edgar Meyer.

I've heard the Telluride Sessions at a buddies house it is about as good as a bluegrass band can get.

Also, maybe Nickel Creek.
  18. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Miles Davis (Bitches Brew-esque recordings) What else may i like (please nothign too obvious)
  19. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Get Pangaea by Miles. He continued to progress with and trim down his fusion stylings and the last recorded result was Pangaea. A septet that sounds just as wild and full as the dozen or so people on Bitches Brew. I know this one is "plain-as-day" obvious, but it's my favorite Miles album I've purchased.

Here is the longshot. Can you dig rock music? Alot of the same concepts are used in the album Thrak by King Crimson (wall of sound from, many individual parts layered on one another, etc). Essentially it is two seperate bands playing seperate parts on the same song. No 30 minute songs, but I don't think I could stand a thirty minute version of any of these songs. The tension would probably get to me.

Not exactly what you might want by worth a try.