1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

You'd think people would be polite if they wanted your money.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by TortillaChip520, May 2, 2010.

1. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    So I found a pretty good deal on a cheap bass of the local craigs that I would have bought if the guy wasn't an @$$hat about it.
    In the ad he said to leave a phone #, so after I emailed him he texted me.
    I had asked him if he would go down in price any (never hurts to ask :smug:), to which he replied "price firm, the bass is in excellent shape and worth that amount."

Fair enough, could've pointed that out in the ad but no biggie. I told him that I'm checking out a couple other basses this week, and I'd let him know if I chose his. I asked him his cross streets and he told me them, and said "Id advise a decision sooner than later. Thx."
    Again, kinda short with me, but that's cool.

A bit later after looking around more, I had pretty much decided on his, but he only had one cell phone pic in the add so I asked if he had any more pictures (I don't want to make a decision off one crappy picture, only to drive 30 minutes and not like it). He said "Yeah, there a picture of it in the ad....", so I said "I know, but do you have any better pics of the body?" He replied "No, that's the best pic there will be. Take it or leave it i dont have time for a million questions. Thx."

I was seriously that close to buying it from him, even if he didn't have any pictures, but his attitude is the only reason I didn't go with it. I would have called him out on it if we weren't having the conversation over text, but since he has my number I just didn't reply. Some people :rollno:
    Now I'm off to scope out another deal, hopefully I find one soon while I still have the money.

2. BritPicker

BritPicker

Apr 20, 2009
    Think he told you his side of it the whole way thru, didn't mislead you, you asked, he said "no". It's his call, he's probably tired of people just saying I'm buying but then not showing up just being a tyre-kicker.

He said it's in excellent shape, you just have to take that as it is, yeah it might be that's not true, but why would he mislead you at this stage? Generally there are easier ways of scamming money of people than by selling basses. If you get down there and it's no good, then well you've wasted a trip, which is a pain but all part of getting a deal and why many people prefer to pay more at the store.

If I'd wanted that bass I'd have made tracks down there and not worried about the guy not accommodating my every desire.

3. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    Everybody says it's in "excellent shape", I just wanted to see for myself. I don't have a lot of money right now so I don't want to waste the gas, or buy a bass that i'm not gonna like. I guess it's not really a big deal, but whenever I'm selling stuff locally I'm as polite as can be. Makes people happier to give me their money :)

4. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    I've been thru worse. If it was that close I would have wanted to play on it before buying it anyway.

My "worse" experience was when I was car shopping as a young high school lad, I saw an Autotrader ad for a 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse in "excellent condition!" that was 2 hours away from me. I could afford it, it apparently had low miles, so my dad and I took a trip out there. Yeah...not so excellent after all.

The speedometer had a really bad twitch...it would NOT stay on any number, it just kinda jumped around on its own paying no attention to how fast the car was going. Strike 1.

The car had mismatched tires. Strike 2.

The airbag was deployed. Strike 3

The brake rotors were horribly warped (STRONG pulse from the brake pedal) and the pads were shot. Strike 4

The interior was nasty and had cigarette burns in the carpet and seats. Strike 5

5 strike aren't acceptable in baseball, and they sure as hell aren't acceptable by my standards.

Cars I think however are much easier to scam people on because many people know nothing about them. But still...I would have wanted to play on the bass 30 min away in the first place. :hyper:

5. acubass

acubass

Oct 10, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    I kinda agree with the seller, you either want the bass or you don't. IME the more questions a potential buyer asks me the less likely they are to want the item. It's almost as if they want or need me to convince them to buy it bc they are a bit indecisive. But if he wants to sell it try to take and post good pics.

6. slaps76

slaps76

Jul 10, 2008
    Medford, MA
    I would have called him, and asked him before driving down how the condition was. It's much easier for him to be a jerk and sound "short" over texting.

7. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Yeah - some people act like they are doing you a favor to sell you their junk. Sure - most buyers are flakes that never show up, but you REALLY want to do everything you can to get them there.

Of the last 5 or 6 items I have sold on CL, once the person showed up they bought the item, so you really want to get them to make the drive.

Meanwhile, people like the one selling the above bass wonder why he can't sell it.

By the way - I REALLY try to sell stuff on CL FIRST before I will go to eBay. eBay has become really disrespectful to sellers with their new rules, and the fees are enormous. Do you know that you can no longer leave negative feedback for buyers? The guy can give you all kinds of problems, take forever to pay and then and leave you negative feedback because you complained , and you can't do squat about it.

8. coffeeeebeeans

coffeeeebeeans

May 1, 2010
    It probably wasn't meant to be :) there was this bass i wanted too i ended up getting a different one because i was too late to buy it. Don't worry it will all work out in the end

9. Like many, I've seen CL from both sides of the fence, and there are 2 sides to every story.

As a buyer, you expect to be treated courteously, and to have accurate descriptions...along with decent pix...on products that are advertised. I've seen stuff that looked like something I wanted, but was either described so poorly...or the seller was so stand-offish...that to me, it wasn't worth the effort to check out.

OTOH, as a seller, when you do advertise something for sale, there are so many idiots who yank your chain, try to "steal" (lowball) your item from you without ever bothering to check out the product's relative value & condition, that you become jaded: phone rings and it's another dillweed here to waste my time.

Fact is: with a few exceptions, the guy with the cash is in the driver's seat. Yeah, he might be a ****, but he's got the cash you want for your item. You have to kiss a few "toads" (chain-yankers) before you find your handsome prince (your buyer). It's all part of the game.

10. stoneboy26

stoneboy26

Jul 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: Thump Music
    If you were that serious about buying it you would go down and check it out to begin with no?

But then IMO if you can't afford the gas to go check it out and not buy it, you shouldn't be looking in the first place.

Or is that just me?

If I was negotiating on price I would be hesistant to do it over text. I would be on the phone to the guy and having a real conversation.

Maybe it's an Aussie thing...

11. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I have met some cool people buying and selling gear on CL but have also corresponded with some people that were clearly just fishing for a huge discounted price or not really serious at all.

It does become frustrating when trying to sell something and having someone come off as serious and then not follow through. In the OP's case, it sounds to me like the seller was simply trying to sell an entry level bass and may have had lots of interest. As you were asking for more info, he may have had other potential buyers making plans to come over right away.

Hard to say, some people are just not very socially skilled and even worse when communicating through email.

12. I'm with the OP on this. I understand that someone's time is valuable and they don't want to respond to a bunch of questions. However, if someone has a genuine interest in something you are selling, don't come across as a jerk to them. If someone is going to give me that kind of attitude I will gladly spend my money elsewhere!

13. RedCoatMonster

RedCoatMonster

Aug 14, 2007
    Thomas, OK
    It is an American custom to buy things we cannot afford. ;)

14. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    Serious or not, I don't wanna waste an hour's worth of driving for a $100 bass. I had emailed him about the price, in his ad he asked for a phone # in the email, so I told him it would be easier to get a hold of me by text in case i was busy and couldn't answer the phone.

15. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Was this just a $100 bass? I can see the seller not thinking this was worth a lot of effort to sell if it was, it's not like he's selling a Rickenbacker or something. On the whole, though, I'm with the OP. ALWAYS be polite and professional with people, you never know when it's going to come around to bite you. But he could have politely indicated that he wouldn't be able to come up with better pics and you were welcome to check it out in person.

16. NickRich

NickRich

Oct 13, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    +1

17. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    From what you posted he didn't seem particularly rude to me. Obviously it was a good deal or you wouldn't have been interested. So he knows it's a good deal and he isn't worried about catering to anyone to sell it.

18. OP should grow up and not have to have his hands held like a little baby and then come here looking for sympathy. I'm with the seller. He was not rude, just honest. The world could use a bit more of that.

19. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I would (and have) blowen you off as soon as you asked for a discount. It there isn't a OBO, the price is firm. When I sell on CL I state a fair price & that is it. I blow off 10 time waisters to 1 REAL buyer. But I do post a good discripion & good photos. To the OP, have you ever sold anything on CL? Give it a try sometime, you'll see the other side.

20. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I've had the opposite experience, the more questions they ask the more interested they are. At least for me, the only time people have put the effort into asking questions are because they are genuinely interested in buying my item.

If the bass was of any value, then I'm with the OP, more pictures it not a burdensome request, especially if the only one in the post was cell phone quality. If he was taking pics with his cell phone anyways and texting you, it's only a few more thumb movements to send over a few more cell phone pics. If it was a $100 bass, I'm a little less with you, the seller probably got a lot of annoying requests from random people, but still.