you'll probably laugh but has anyone tryed this??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by funkopotimus, Jan 18, 2001.

1. i'm thinkin of making a duct tape strap just cause i'm reatarded and dont have a strap i like or any cash seein how i'm fourteen, i'm playin a five string fender jazz and my strap is causin me to have to sit down after playing for an hour or two.

So here's the question anyone tryed makin a duct tape strap i'm goin to, and i'll tell everyone how it worked out, anyways thanks, and please give opinions(even if you think i'm just stupid)

2. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Dude, you can get one of those cheap Peavey straps for like 6.99. Geez kid.
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Lighten up. He didn't say he didn't HAVE a strap--just that he doesn't like the ones he has. I say go for it. Maybe take one of the straps you do have, and use that as the middle of it. If the Jazz bass is heavy for ya, make sure you make the strap nice and wide. And, make sure you do your best to keep all of the sticky covered, otherwise you might rip your head bald when you take the bass off. Who knows, it could be a great conversation starter with the chicks...
  4. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Mine is made out of hemp rope and an old belt. If it breaks I can always smoke it.
  5. I knew there was something I liked about you, nanook! ;)
  6. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Careful not to ruin a good bass trying to save a few bucks on a strap … mow a lawn or something.

"If you cant be hansom at least you can be handy… and duct tape is a handyman's best friend!" - Red Green :)
  7. haha you guys are great man, thanks for the comments even the cheap kid remark. i'll try it out and it might work. if its no good are there any straps that you guys reccomend?

I really liked the hemp idea,haha

8. noise

noise Guest

Oct 23, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    An aquaintence used a chain. I imagine it got pretty painful after a short while... although he appeared to have pretty strong shoulders.

9. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Red Green would be proud! :D:D

[Edited by Deynn on 01-18-2001 at 07:56 PM]

10. aww come on it would take all weekend to break that stuff up :D
  11. I just made a strap today out of an old leather shooters belt I got for free. I have extra Shaller straplocks (you have to buy a whole set to get the buttons for each bass). Just punched a hole for the strap lock on each end and removed the buckle and put it back as a decoration on the other end. Now to find about 25, 38 caliber pistol bullets to put in the loops. So it can be done cheap find a wide belt at least 40" long or more in a thrift shop and make it into a strap.
  12. I'm really concerned.If you go shirtless and if you are hairy....OUCH!!!!So, don't go shirtless.Besides how will you explain the bald patch?
  13. Huna Funk

Huna Funk

Dec 5, 2000
    I used two shoe strings tied together for over a year in one band I was in way back. Lucky for me I was so incredibly wrecked all of the time I never felt it digging into my shoulder.

The good ole days......
  14. bald patch?? what are you a hairy greek? lol hey don't knock it i know ppl like that! plus naked bassists.. hmmmmm noooooo!!!! as bad as a nuclear scientist drummer.. :p

15. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    I had a similar problem. The problem of the pain is the weight of the bass and you need a wide strap to spread the weight all over your shoulder. Sometimes It is hard to find a wide enough strap.

In a desperate moment of pain I took an old colorful bedsheet cut it in half, fixed the ends, segured the holes and presto. NO more pain, I could play for hours... At home of course.

Make sure you secure it, you can use another strap on top as a backup!
  16. LOL.No,I'm not hairy(most Aisians are quite unhairy).Naked,only underneath my clothes.Greek? Did you mean Geek? Geek-Yes and proud of it!!Nuclear scientist drummer...What's that??
  17. Deeter

Dec 5, 2000
    San Fransico, CA
    I don't know how effective a duct tape strap would be. But I do guarantee that it would be, "punk as f*ck!" to coin and old phrase. :cool:
  18. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Are any of your friends "rotund" ? (fat-@$$es?)

Steal one of their (pants) belts! :p
  19. haha i seem to have givin you guys somethin good to have a laugh about! haha i'm glad! i'm hopin to make it this weekend, i'll let you know how it went!