young bassist - my first amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by youngbassplayer, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Hello everyone. I'm a very new bass player, I've been playing for about 5 months now, and I've finally gathered up enough cash for an amp for myself. Now, I've been browsing around, and reading up and I am strongly considering an Ampeg BA115 Bass Amp Series Combo. The amp is $450, so it's a step above a practice amp, which is what I'm looking for, and I've been told that Ampeg is pretty decent.
    The specs are:

* 100 watts of power
    * 15" speaker
    * Style selector with 5 basic tone options
    * 3-band tone controls
    * Master and gain controls
    * Balanced XLR line out
    * Headphone jack
    * RCA inputs for connecting a tape or CD player
    * Tilt-back cabinet

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on this amp. I've played on this amp before at a local music store and I liked the sound, but then, I am new and I know that I ought to talk to people who know more before I put my money down...
    I would like to hear any pros/cons you have concerning Ampeg products also...

Thanks for your time all!
  2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Hmmm..... that sounds pretty good, but for practicing with a band Id suggest something closer to 200 Watts. If you arent going into band stuff, then that should be great.

I personally dont like tone of this amp (or Ampeg in general), but its just a personal taste thing. Ampeg is a well known and loved company, just not my sound. You said you like how it sounds so thats what matters.

What type of music do you play, and with how many people playing through what?

3. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    In my opinion, that's a great little combo amp. I have an Ampeg B-100R and absolutely love it. 100 LOUD watts. I'd definetly check it out too, it's only about $30 more than the BA115. Let us know what you decide.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Ampeg B100R is a great amplifier. I am strongly considering one for smaller gigs that I play. The Ampeg BA115 is a good amp too. If you have access to it, I would check out the B100R.
  5. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    one of the best bass sounds ive ever heard was from a B100R and a P bass. Its a great little amp, and you can always mic it, or use the XLR out to a PA if you need to be louder.
  6. Thanks everyone for your input! I checked out the B100R and from what you all have said I'm thinking I will probably go for that over the BA115...

Nick man: As far as what I play, at the moment I've been learning blues and jazz lines and have been playing along to some of The Who songs (I picked up The Who Ultimate Collection the other day, popped it in and tried to play along with what I heard). I don't have a teacher, so I'm pretty much on my own. I have played with a few local groups of people, one group was a more punk type of music while the other was soft rock. I have to say I enjoyed the slower rock music much more than the punk stuff...

So, right now I play occasionally with others but more often than not I play alone in my room.

I'd appreciate any beginner tips you all might have...
    Thanks for your interest and help!
  7. yeah man, If you're not financially strained at the moment, I'd find a bass teacher. BASS TEACHER, not a guitarist who thinks he can play bass (althoug when I started out my bass teacher didnt play bass but guitar, but was really good at guitar and knows what hes talking about)... Dont stop lessons either, it's what gets you REALLY good, there's always stuff to learn... Dont discard the fact of playing with a pick just because its not "proper" bass playing. Same with everytype of technique. People will know your well rounded if you can whip out some slap bass every once and a while (in moderation), use a pick for more "roundabout" type songs(check that out by Yes.), and use finger style, and not discard the idea of tapping (i.e. WANKING:D) and everything. Learn it all, decide which you prefer, but learn fingerstyle first, in my opinion its the most important.
  8. BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    A Fender Bassman 100! its perfect for what your looking for. I have one, and its awsome. Use it at gigs, has all the little features you probably would never even need to use, but good to know its there. Direct, a seperate effects input in the back so that you never lose the tone of your bass while the effects pedals or processors are added in, so on and so on. Its a great bass, and pleantly powerful, I was just rattling the walls of my house a second ago.