1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Young cannabis smokers run risk of lower IQ, report claims

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Marlat, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19372456

So, how many posts until the "my friend's a brain surgeon and he smokes pot" posts start to appear? :)

In any event, interesting reading.

2. I'm glad I'm not a YOUNG cannabis smoker! ;-)

3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Good thing I'm a genius with IQ to spare. :D

No seriously, I'm am underachieving dumbass and I'm perfectly fine with it.

4. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Totally worth a couple of IQ points :D

Interesting study though, it doesn't surprise me that using something like cannabis whilst the brain is still developing would have some sort of impact, good or bad.

As to cannabis users under-achieving, I don't think this really provides much of an explanation. A couple of IQ points isn't going to cost you your career, I think it's more of a case of people associating with a certain culture where cannabis use is more accepted due to the fact that they are not a high achiever (no pun intended). This also depends hugely on how the individual chooses to use the drug, I know people who only smoke to help with writing music, or only smoke when they program, for these people Cannabis probably helps them to achieve rather than hindering them. I also know people who'll smoke all day and night and just watch TV.

I wonder how much of the decline in IQ can be attributed to the drug itself (eg. potentially neurotoxic effects) and how much would be caused by the change in behaviour etc. that is exhibited by many who do use the drug.

In my personal experience, I've not noticed any decline in IQ or overall intelligence, but it isn't really something that is easy to gauge. I will say that I never experienced dyslexia during my highschool years, however after smoking cannabis casually for a couple of years I have noticed myself exhibiting a few symptoms. It doesn't surprise me, everybody else in the family has dyslexia to some degree too, and it does also coincide with me being in an age bracket where things like that can become more prominent, however it is definitely something I've been keeping an eye on.

Impressive piece of research though, 20 something years in the making. Anybody know where I can find the study itself, or something with a bit more information?

5. That was lucky.

I managed to end up an underachieving dumbass without the weed!

6. I was a young smoker (12), i have actually never finished an IQ test, i get bored half way through and start answering randomly...
    Usually my randomness is pretty smart.

7. Does cannabis cause people to be lazy or are naturally lazy people more drawn to it?

Chicken and egg kinda thing.

I know plenty stereotypical stoner types, who spend thier days doing not much more than Xbox and getting high. But at the same time, a lot of the people I work with smoke regularly, and I wouldn't punt people with PhDs in the sciences, working in both academia and industry as your classic underachievers.

8. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I tried to read the article, but I didn't understand it.... :bag:

9. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Banned

Dec 23, 2010
    Horten, Norway
    My friend's a brain surgeon and he smokes pot.

He's a rocket scientist too.

10. And here I thought college was to make me smarter.

11. Dude. You know Buckaroo Banzai??? Awesome!!!

12. THE SAW

THE SAW

Sep 14, 2006
    Wha' is the topic of this thread again?

13. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Did they test with sativa or indica smokers? Totally different highs.

14. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    Never really understood how these tests prove much of anything.

You take 1,000 people and observe them for 20 years and the smokers all dropped in IQ points.

Perhaps those smokers also took the same cold medicine and that's what caused it, or they all bought their bags from the same dealer that lived next door to some noxious fume spewing factory that only the smokers were exposed to.
    Maybe they all had a different type of flu shot than the others.
    Maybe they had a genetic Predisposition already through their family and that in itself was why they turned towards smoking weed in the first place.
    Maybe because of their smoking they all ate the same junk food when the munchies kicked in and that's what lead to it.
    It could just as easily be a nutritional thing that yes would be a indirect cause of the drug but not necessarily the drugs direct affect on the body.

Maybe they all used bongs or bowls or rolling papers made from similar materials.
    Maybe the smokers in New Zealand all listed to the same music/ watched the same TV show and that lead to it.

And then again, maybe it was simply because of the weed. Who knows?
    I don't see it being possible though to eliminate all the different variants over twenty years.

I'd love to actually read the study, and it's details though, I'm curious how much of a loss the smokers experienced overall.

15. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Actually a lot of the bud you get in New Zealand is mixed with tobacco. It's rare that they smoke straight marijuana. I wonder if that was taken into account.

16. nickbass79

nickbass79

Nov 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    I wonder how many IQ points people drop by only consuming alcohol? It would be interesting to see the comparison.

lidesnowi likes this.
  17. It's why they have to look at it statistically and not as a case by case, to try and smooth out the extremes and generalise.

Funnily enough, on your note of predisposition, it reminded me of some "understanding" from the 50s. It was claimed by some that smoking didn't cause cancer, that people with throat and lung conditions (which lead to cancer) were drawn to smoking as it soothed the condition.

18. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    It's also possible that everyone loses IQ points at some point.

19. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Non-smokers are forced to develop a higher IQ as a coping mechanism to compensate for their dangerously low cannabinoid levels.

20. iJazz

iJazz

Jan 9, 2012
    Sussex, WI
    First, we must understand that we are accepting at face value a single study, even one as seemingly in depth as this is reported to be, as good science. It may very well be, but then again until there is independent corroboration by one or even several other studies it is only a single study conclusion about a very hot-button issue, and motives within must always be examined for neutrality.

Secondly, it seems that they are attempting to quantify the outcome of unmeasured rather than measured dosage. That introduces a potentially wildly swinging variable into the causal side of their equation. Have they in fact proven that regular use begun at a certain age produces IQ loss or that abuse begun at that age produces that effect? The assumption of my question is that use and abuse are two differing values and that a threshold of some very difficult to define value must be accounted for in finding true accuracy in an outcome such as they claim.

Also, I'm really curious as to methodology used to assure genuine accuracy of subjects self-reporting. It seems reasonable that any 13 or 14 year old has an understanding of the explosive social considerations of use and could bias their answers easily. How do you take "the MAN" factor out of such an investigation?

Understand, please, that I am not trying to endorse the use of any substance by the under-aged. It seems reasonable that denial of use by the maturing individual would be a safe precaution, even if the rationality of intake by mature individuals was an accepted practice. I don't think it wrong that teens are not allowed to consume alcohol, no matter how often they actually do. I'm simply pointing out questions which I feel make such a study outcome extremely difficult to accept at reported face value.

iJazz - "There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz and swing, result from marijuana usage. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others."

Harry J. Anslinger - From 1937 Testimony to Congress in support of The Marijuana Tax Act