1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Young Gospel Bassist- Arrogance or Confidence?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bobbo 77', Mar 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    There are jerkoffs and good people in any style of music.

2. mcnaire2004

mcnaire2004

Jan 17, 2006
    everywhere
    To be honest, I have been pretty cocky at church. I am pretty humble outside of church but when playing I get pretty cocky. Mainly because I am significantly better than all of the instrumentalist there. I some times get less patient teaching others. Which of course I have worked on. Gospel isn't my main form of music so I can't really speak for most bassist because I usually play double bass and orchestral music. I'm not the "you suck, I'm better than you cocky" I'm more of the quiet cocky "demeanor" that a good section leader should have. I do get over cocky some times. I can play all of the music from the very first time so it just adds to it. If you have the right kind of cocky then I think it is a good thing. But, you should always humble your self.

3. Fixed :)

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Grrrrr...my posts are written in stone! :bassist:

5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Actually it was more an experience with a certain "type" of Church where the emphisis is on the "show". This particular style of Church doesn't seem to have a color preference. Notice I said the church I was in was "on the edge" of the Urban Gospel scene. It was actually a mixed suburban church that had a strong urban following in the music department. If you'll notice my second post I was careful to express where my real frustration was. Some churches, tend to value the "service" more then the people who are doing the serving.

The problem is not with the "players" its the form of church leadership that allows those attitudes to flourish. I think the danger comes when church's overemphisize a leaders gifts. From my own experience the gifts that God emparts are many times not any indication of an individuals walk with God. In this case many of these "gifted leaders" actually had serious personal problems that were effecting the whole church.

On a side note Dr. their are plenty of African Americans and parts of African American culture I admire, but I do call them as I see them.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm not going to take this any further since political discussion is not allowed at TB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.