Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

young grasshopper in search of guidence

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by jedi1076, Apr 15, 2004.

1. i started playing bass six months ago, i am a music fanatic and a begining musician. can you suggest any bass lines or songs or musicians to copy that might assist in the learning process. i listen to punk, rock, blues, jazz you name it. any help would be appreciated. thanks.

best regards,

jedi1076

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi,

the thing that will most assist in the learning process is finding a good teacher - no method of learning is more efficient or focussed than private one on one tuition.

As for players and things to listen to - start with the things that you enjoy - work out the songs that get you going. If it works for you, they must be doing something right... As you learn a song, try and work out what's going on behind it - what's the chord progression? are there any standard musical devices being employed? You'll start to see that there are ideas and concepts that get repeated a lot in the songwriting process, and as you learn to recognise them, it'll make the process of learning songs easier.

Buying books is also a great way of picking up good solid teaching material - I'd recommend anything by Ed Friedland as a good place to start. There's tonnes of information on the 'net, but a large portion of it is nonsense, so it's not a particularly time-efficient way of gathering decent tuitional information.

Good luck - have fun!

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net