Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Young Padawon seeks pup jedi

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tualatin, May 27, 2005.

1. Tualatin

Tualatin

Feb 7, 2005
    Atlanta
    I've been doing my best to learn as much as I can lately on the world of bass pups and how they apply to me. I'm playing in a band right now(metal) and we're tuned low A,D,G,C. I was using my 4str Tobias Growler that I've had and loved for years. When I joined this project, I had my bass set up with 130 ga. strings, and it played great. I then went out and bought a new 400+ head, a new 6x10 and a used 1x18. Hooked it up, pluged in and..... FART! Yery loud farting on any lower freq's. I couldn't figure out what it was, I tried everything(inputs, ohms, etc). I had to have a new nut made so while it was in, I had them "bench test" the electronics and everything came out fine. The pup height was set to spec and the bass played great except for anything loud. It was in my uneducated, but not inexperienced oppinion that I could have all the e.q. and volume on the bass turned up and nothing should be breaking up. I then tried some passive basses through the rig. Viola. So I ended up buying a used MIA P-bass and plan to go with so SD 1/4's and call it a day. Now here's my question, the growler has the MM4 Bart; what pre-amp is used, and is this noise caused by the signal being to hot. The guy who set up my P-bass, said an 18volt pre-amp sends about 17-18db of gain, where as a factory passive is about 6, and the SD's will be about 8-9. *** does this mean? Is that the distortion I hear? Is My growler useless in this band? Any personal experience and detailed and what may even seem basic info will be making me happy.

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland

What kind of amp do you have?

Many amps have inputs for active/passive basses. The active jack í -6db if I recall correctly. You should use that jack for active basses.

Other than that you have to turn down the gain on your amp, the balance between gain&volume has to be good so you get the most out of your amp without farting. You could also try to turn down a bit the tone knob on your Growler.

3. Tualatin

Tualatin

Feb 7, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm using a mesa boogie 400+. I've tried every possible setting on the head i.e. active input, passive input, eq flat, eq cut, all flat except one freq flat, 6x10 4ohm out of 4ohm, 1x18 8ohm out of 8ohm(incorrect impedence) 6x10 4ohm out of 2ohm and 1x18 8ohm out of 4ohm. Everthing sounded right with the passive p-bass, so I'm pretty sure the amp is fine.