Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Young. Rich and Stupid

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr.Death, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Dr.Death

Dr.Death

Oct 25, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    So i have about £400 - i need to replace my rather low spec peavey. My band plays evrythin from foo-fighters to jimmy eat world as well as the occasional QOTSA to lighten the mood! Weezers a favourite too. I also wanted something a little different - the p-bass never reall appealed to me - sorry guys.

Thanks for any suggestions.:p

2. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    Ernie ball musicman 4 string or a gibson of some sort.

3. I second the music man

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    P's never appealed to me either, till I played one. :)

Whereabouts are you? Not much info in your profile, not sure what options might be open to your locale...

5. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Its funny you mention all those bands yet the P-bass doesn't appeal to you.

I agree, Stingray. But if you don't like that, try a J-bass.

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Something diffrent? then dont go with the erineball. that thing is like coke a cola..... and well coke a cola is the bomb, but if you want something like sobe, um, try out some used stuff... LIKE A RICK!

7. I agree, that is interesting.

I don't particularly enjoy playing a P, the body feels weird to me, and I've never really met a P neck I really liked. I like a P neck better than a J, though, but J body and pickups.

However, get an old P through a vintage SVT rig, and holy hot s**t!!! If I had unlimited fundage I would most definitely seek out this rig just to have that one sweet-ass sound. Check out Scott Shriner's P/SVT rig on Weezer's Maladroit - I saw them live on this tour and the bass sound was absoutely WICKED.

The Foo Fighters' second album (_The Color and the Shape_) has some blatant P tone as well, but I never really liked that sound - I don't like that ~600hz honky bark, unless it's through a SVT having the crap driven out of it.

--jeff
    (Wow, my 600th post! Scary. Better ask mumsie if I can use her PayPal account to become a supporting member...)

8. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    A second-hand Warwick would definetly be 'something different' for you, sir :)

9. Dr.Death

Dr.Death

Oct 25, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated. It's not that i have ruled out the p-bass, i would just prefer something a little more original - all the bassist i know have one.
    I like the look of the thunderbird, I know this is a little more "rocky" but i could use that - my only concern was the versitility and the 'neck dive'
    I especially like the music man and the Ric even more, but i always thought them to be out of my price range, here in the uk, they both retail (new) at around £1000, but i hadn't considered looking at used guitars.
    Is there anything (i.e. common faults) that I should look out for with either model? And how much might i expect to pay?:confused:

10. Dr.Death

Dr.Death

Oct 25, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Also i wanted to ask how much i could sell my peavey milestne III for, it is around 2 yr.s old, and only has one tiny scratch on the back.
    I konw you can't put a UK value on it, but if you consider that i bought it for £129 you could give be a ballpark figure.
    Cheerz

11. jieshi

jieshi

Mar 26, 2002
    well i use a fender jazz

i play all sorts of style .. including punk too .. well it works really well .. all rounder in my opinion