Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Youngun teachin' the old one!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BASSnSAX, Jan 13, 2002.

1. The other day, when I was at my not-quite-so-favorite-guitar-store-but-is-still-a'ight-cuz-of-their-selections-of-basses, an older guy walked up to me and started asking me all these questions about how I play and what I play and what kind of equipment he has. Well me being nearly 17, I was like "AHHH!!! This isn't what its suppose to be like!!! I should be learning from him..." but then I realized that I could be making the difference between young loser players (who wish to play bass lines much like Nikki Sixx's) and people like me (who wish to someday be able to play as good as John Myung or Stu Hamm or Marcus Miller or Vic Wooten, etc.). And then he was telling me about his rig...wow.

He has 1 4003 Ric, 1 5-string 4003 (? idk I'm not a rick-man), a SWR Big Ben 1x18" cab, an SWR Goliath 3 4x10, and a Peavey NitroBass head (???), and he said he's first starting to memorize the fretboard. :confused:

so yeah, anyone else think this is funny, ironic, amusing, has hope for the future, or whatever you think...maybe I'm just stupid...

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Well, many people over 40 sometimes feel like they have done everything (like getting a family, a job, etc) and then remember some of their youngster dreams (like play in a band)...

so there are many "old" people just starting out on bass cuz they now have the time to do it and he might reunited with some friends and start making some covers of their "oldies" tunes...

i tell you that because i know some of this people... even my dad is like that... well he tells me he wants to learn guitar and play some eagles, beatles, santana, etc.

maybe some people here in the board began too late and are in some way "newbies"...

3. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    Don't be so surprized. There are alot of us like that.

I decided I wanted to play at the age of 36. I can afford good equipment, but I see kids in the music store all the time that make me want to cry.

We get so caught up in "making a living" that we don't "take the time to live" until we get our kids at least half raised. I was in The U.S. Army for half of my adult life, then another few years to get established before I could do some things that I really want to do. I know that there are ALOT of folks like me. Take pity on us. Don't laugh !! :D

Dave

4. Hmmm...
    This reminds me of my little visit to the LA Bass Exchange. There was a guy who looked somewhere around 55 years old or so, and he had a really nice Ken Smith 5 string (I think?). I actually thought it was pretty cool that someone who's old enough to be my dad or older learning to play any instrument.

If anyone came and asked me for advice for guitar or bass, especially if they were older than me, I'd actually be kinda flattered.
    Of course, though, seeing as my knowledge of the bass or music theory etc. is extremely limited, I'd have to tell them that there's still a lot for me to learn.
    Actually, it might be kinda fun to take lessons with a complete stranger. That way I'd get to know someone new, and I'd have some competition with my lessons, so I can push myself to do as good as or better than someone who's currently at my ability level. Or whatever you call it. :p

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    When you get so old that you feel there is nothing else to learn from others (even younger than you)...then you REALLY ARE OLD!!!