Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your absolute unrealistic dream bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Silverstar, Oct 1, 2002.

1. This is a thread for all of you dreaming of one special bass but will probably never get that. If you could design one bass regardless of cost and whatsoever what would it be ?
    Mine would be the following:

Conklin Non-Doubled 12-string
    Tuned from low C# to high G#
    Strung with Dean Markley SS from .215 to .008
    Scale: 34.5"
    Body: Flamed Maple
    Top: Quilted Maple AAAAA
    Neck: 15pc Neck-Through construction : Flamed Maple/Purpleheart/Flamed Maple
    Bridge: String-Thru Body on C#,F#,B and E,very heavy and stable
    Fretboard: Gaboon Ebony, Flat Jumbo Frets, 36 Frets
    Pickups: 1 MM-Style Pickup by Bassline
    Tuners: Gotoh
    Gold Hardware
    Stringspacing: 18mm
    Light Fretboardradius

That would be the coolest bass I could imagine
    So let me hear yours
    :D :D

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Never say never. I went from learning on an acoustic guitar with four strings to this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So... what do I dream about... nothing immediately comes to mind;)

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    brad -

you said you have a son that's just starting college? what did his friends think when they came over and saw "the collection?" :eek:

i know if one of my friends dad's had a collection like that, he'd be my best friend :D

4. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    holy crap

5. I hate you :D :D

6. brad....

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

oh.........

my..........

GAWWWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it must suck to be you.
    :(

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    7 string Roscoe. Oh, wait, that's what I'm working towards right now!

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I guess I should explain;)

That was the first time I ever took everything out all at once. I figured it was time I had a pic of everything*. Otherwise I only keep a few out at a time in my office. If younger kids came over I just put everything away. My son's friends were interested in other stuff so my basses weren't of much interest to them.

If I went to someone's home and they had their stuff strewn around the family room like that I'd probably think "What a knucklehead".

Silverstar- I'm trying not to hate myself. I did a guitar show for a friend of mine Sunday so I have two of his custom basses here in addition to two from another builder... in addition to everything else. You're right, bimplizkit... it does suck to be me:D

Brendan, I sold the Roscoe to a friend. I think it found a good home.

I never dreamed I'd have basses like this at any point in my life. My point about never saying never is that you never know. Life is funny like that. When I think of what I have invested in this stuff (a lot less than most would probably think) I think I'm having more fun with the basses than I could with the new base model Honda Civic I could've bought with about the same money.

*plus I'd have something to do whenever jt whipped out pics of the family.

9. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    My house:

1st son 16: [Snickers and shakes head in disbelief]

2nd son 14: Is this knew? What are the differences in the two? Why do you need two? I don't think your strap matches the guitar color very well...

3rd son: [after three days, "Is this new."]

4th daughter: Oooh, a new guitar!!! It's so smooth!!

10. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Around here, a bass boat costs more. Or a Harley to have a mid life crisis with. Or a time share to trade. Or a red T-Bird to relive old times. Just think, while others have lost $10K--make that $20K--in the stock market, your investments are still "hanging" in there!!

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    And I get play with them whenever I want. Ever play with a 401-K statement? It just sits there, occassionally biting you in the butt;)

12. grackle

grackle

Sep 27, 2002
    Washington, D.C.
    Lemme see . . . at the moment that would be either a left-handed <A HREF="http://www.jerryjonesguitars.com/longhorn%20bass%204.htm">Jerry Jones Longhorn</A> or left-handed Hoffner Beatle Bass with an adjustable through-body neck.

13. Brad,
    Can I have the green one? Green's my faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaavoritest color, and ya know, since my birthday's coming up an' all...................*puppiest puppy dog eyes you've ever seen."

14. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    As far as dream BGs go, I'd like either a Zon Hyperbass with all the detuning doodads or the all-passive, carved-top Fodera Anthony Jackson.

15. Ditto. Actually, I think I would go for a matched pair of single-cut 36" scale Foderas: one fretted, one fretless. I'm still not sure on 5 or 6 strings, though...

Actually, you can keep the BG's; I'll keep my Lakland and just give me $20-30K to commission a nice new Martin Sheridan DB. :D

16. I have too many dream basses to just list one

And right now, I'm dreaming about becoming Brad's son :D :D :)

17. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Mine actually flies...all it needs is just the right folds...:D

18. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I don't think I could possibly limit it to just one or two. There are probably a dozen or more basses that I could "justify" owning...

Now if I could get the wife to believe in my justifications...:eek:

19. 1968 Gibson EB-O cherry or black, not that crappy walnut color.

20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    While I was a the local guitar show a guy asked me what basses I had. When I told him the number (I wasn't really sure) he looked at my left hand with a really quizzical expression. I asked what was up.

"You're married?"

"Yep"

"I don't get it"

I told him my SVT at the yardsale story and it became clear... my wife understands;)