Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your Advice and Opinions Needed: Power Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by doc540, Apr 7, 2004.

1. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Best rack mounted power amp using these criteria:

Power
    Weight
    Dependability
    Price

I need a minimum of about 500watts into 4ohms per side.

Thanks!

2. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    (Kind of interesting that sound quality isn't even on your list . . . ;) )

QSC PLX1602

3. I've used a Mackie 1400i in my rig for over 5 years now. Never had a problem with it. It is alot more versitile than alot of the lower end QSC and Crown power amps. It has all kinds of crossover options, binding post, 1/4" ins and outs, xlr ins and outs for daisy chaining, and the list goes on.

300 per ch. @ 8 ohms, 500 per ch. @ 4 ohms. 1400 bridged @ 4 ohms. Also can handle 2 ohm loads all night long.
    It's a hair heavy, but won't fall apart on you.

Just my .02 from my personal expierence.

Hope this helps.

4. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    Then you're a lucky man. The 1400 has a bad rep in pro audio for thermal problems.

5. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    ive been useing the eden WT-1000 for some time now, and its a great power amp, i bought mine used for $500 and the list for $1,100 , but nobody pays list thougth. its very dependable, and only wieghts 26 lbs.
    alot of people use qsc, and stewart and swear by them, ive never used one because my eden has been dependable and has always supplied more than enough power, plus it has a tone shaper on the amp itself, not just the volume which qsc and stewart dont have(i think)

6. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    mine too.

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    'Nuther vote for the QSC PLX series . . .

8. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    I assumed no one here would recommend a power amp with less than stellar sound quality.

;)

9. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    One word: "duty cycle"

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    . . . uh . . . that's two words . . . ;)

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Stewarts are light and the 1.6 and 2.1 are dual mono with separate power supplies. They are also both fan-cooled. I've owned both and they've never given me a problem. The QSC PLX 1602 has given me good service, too but is heavier than the Stewart and not dual mono.

12. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Both stewart and qsc plx are nice amps and I have both. The qsc always gets the call though for both my bass rig and PA. They have some features that the stew does not that I like. Go to both of their web sites and take a look at what they have to offer.

13. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    The old Mesa Boogie 500+ I think it's called, it's the 400+ but only a power amp. Power amps have little to do with sound quality, that's what the pre-amp is for. Unless of course you have tube which is entirely differen't but uuhh...ok maybe bad generization :/.

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    ditto, sounds great IMO.

15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Crown CE-1000 475 into 4. Inexpensive, good sounding, not really light but seems solid to me. About 6 months and so far so good.

16. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Thanks for all the info.

I'm looking for a lighter power amp than my 33lb. Yamahammer.

17. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    You're thinking of the Mesa Boogie Strategy 500. It is a monster of a tube amp... I just acquired one a few weeks ago and am very happy with the sound (quite different from, and IMO a big improvement over, my solid state power amp). Pretty hefty, similar in weight to the Boogie Strategy 400 power amp, and has some intersting features you don't see in other amps, tube or not (incl half-drive, Deep Extend switches on front panel). Very hard to find these days.

18. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Behringer :D

If you do go for the QSC PLX series, which I highly recommend, spend some extra cash for the 3002 or one of the other high powered ones. I thought the PLX 1202 would be all I'd ever need... 1,200 watts!!! However, I soon realized that had I a more powerful poweramp, I'd have a lot more cabinet choices...

19. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Sometimes it's good in emergencies to have more power, too. Once, in one of my past bands, we had a problem with the PA, which belonged to one of the guitar players. So I took my PLX 1602 out of bridged mono and into stereo, ran my bass rig on one channel, and ran our monitors on the other. Hey, the show went on, but I was thinking at the time that I maybe should've gotten at least a PLX 2402. ;)

20. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    QSC PLX

1200, 1600, 2400, 300o, or 3400 watts, it does not matter! All in a 20lbs 2U chasis! :D