Your Advice please

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Flag2Flag, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Flag2Flag

Dec 30, 2005
    Austin, TX
    a few weeks ago i played a friends double bass, and i thinks its something i really want to get into. But, i dont have alot of money (Im 16). I saw online these inexpensive basses. i know its nothing special, but is it worth buying? the price is 460 or so.

Heres some info:

RETAIL VALUE is $899.00
    With Free Bow / $80 Value
    & FREE SHIPPING / $120-$150 Value

Full 4/4 Size
    Select Spruce Top
    Maple Back and Sides
    Warm Amber Gloss Finish
    Double Kerfing
    Arched Back Construction
    24:1 ratio Tyrolean-style Machine Heads for precise, easy tuning
    Dyed hardwood Fittings!
    Aged Northern Maple Bridge
    Padded Nylon Carrying Case
    FREE Bow Included

Sorry for such a long thread but....
  2. I'm no pro when it comes to buying new basses, but my idea is this: you have to buy what sounds good. The only problem is that buying a bass online, never having the chance to check it out before-hand, is a bit of a gamble. You run the chance of blowing your money on a bass that sounds like a piece of wood.....but on the other hand, you may also get very lucky. Do you know if they offer a refund if you're unsatisfied with it? Also, 4/4 is a bit big. Standard bass size these days seems to be 3/4, so unless you're a pretty big guy, you may want to keep that in mind as well. Good luck with whatever decision you make on this one.
  3. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Scott - save your dough, and read the Newbie Links; you'll be glad you did.
  4. bpclark

Apr 30, 2003
    West Central, OH
    I agree with the others and would say avoid that bass. If you're sixteen and presumably still in high school, maybe you could approach the Orchestra director and ask about the possibility of borrowing a school bass. If you are really interested in learning bass and willing to join the orchestra, he/she just might give you one to start learning on. Then spend your money on a teacher.
  5. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

NO-- it is not worth buying-- not if you want to use it as a bass, anyway. You're in Woodbury? Geez, hop in the car (or hop in your parents' car) and head to Upton Bass in Mystic. You're lucky you live so close to a shop like this. You'll become educated very quickly if you spend some time there!