1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Your Always On Compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Being and Bass, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    I had been GASing for a while for a Markbass Compressore as I have always had a soft-spot for tube compressors. But I saw an EHX Black Finger for a great deal and jumped on it, despite some of the concerns expressed here about noise.

Well, God loved me that day. The Black Finger was absolutely right for me! With the right settings I get very low background noise and always run a noise gate anyways. The compressor was only for a few basslines I was working on but I quickly realized that shutting it off would just be a mistake. I just turn it on with the amp now and leave it as I play.

Does anyone else have a similar always-on compressor experience? I had always thought only a transparent compressor would be an "always on" pedal, but the Black Finger changed my mind in a heartbeat.

RubyTuba, Neil o, rtav and 6 others like this.
  2. alecduncan

alecduncan

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    My Seymour Duncan Studio Bass Compressor is on always, but sometimes I adjust the attack knob for different basses or songs. Love that pedal so much.

PS those old big EHX tube pedals ruled. I used to use an EHX Tube EQ that I loved as a preamp!

Kinky Afro, ekajnitram, ERMAL and 8 others like this.
  3. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Seattle
    Diamond BCP for me.

4. allenhumble

allenhumble Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    Cali76 bass compact

Gabbs, Chace90, Xansky and 8 others like this.
  5. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    I looked at the Seymour Duncan a few times in person. AMAZING compressor, just not for what I play.

And I love the EHX tube pedals! I have a Muff'n I am trying to mod as well for bass frequencies. And the Tube EQ was actually recommended to me as a wah, but I don't know if it would ever fit on my board!

If I wasn't a poor Canadian, I think I would be right here with you. The only complaint I have heard about the Cali76 is the price!

6. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Old Bridge, NJ
    You're not the only one who runs a Studio Bass always on:bassist:

7. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    For twenty years I used DBX rackmount comps. Always on. Got rid of the rack, and I use a Wampler, again, always on.

8. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Why not get the MB? There are plenty for sale on the classifieds here.

NB Rayman likes this.
  9. BeauZooka

BeauZooka

Oct 2, 2007
    Seattle USA
    I just got a Keeley Bassist Comp/Limiter, which I haven’t had a chance to fire up yet. Hopefully it will become an always on pedal for me.

10. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    tc electronic Spectracomp with Janek Gwizdalas "Chordal Compressor" toneprint.

C/S,
    Rev J

Haji, fourthtunz, Paul M and 4 others like this.
  11. Eric ER

Eric ER

Mar 22, 2015
    Seattle, wa
    Previous: Dusty Strings harp/dulcimer building
    I just started using a Keeley bassist and like it quite a bit. The few times that I’ve used it, I used it as an always on pedal.

I use their 4-knob compressor on guitar (not always on, but great) as well as a few of their other effects. I wish they had more bass stuff for my bass board (I really don’t use too many effects on either instrument).

R&B, polymorphorism, Rickter and 3 others like this.
  12. lowplaces

lowplaces Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    I have a Bassist and I leave it on.

Let us know how you like it.

13. It’s not anything like a tube compressor, but I like my TC Electronic Spectracomp. I just wanted something simple and easy to dial in for an “always on” pedal. It’s as simple as it gets with one knob but I specifically like the multi-band style compression that it has. So yes, as soon as I tried it out I knew turning it off would be a mistake!

bdplaid, EddieV, MichaelT and 2 others like this.
  14. TheBear

TheBear Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It was a Markbass Compressore, currently a Keeley Compressor Pro. Hoping to upgrade soon to an Empress Compressor or a Cali Compact Bass/Deluxe.

How do you like that one? Did you compare it to the Compact Deluxe?

I had a lot of issues with their 4-knob guitar compressor when used with bass, but am pretty happy with their Compressor Pro...I just want to upgrade because of GAS.

15. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    If I were to use a compressor all the time, my "always on" choice would be my Diamond. It actually seems to clean up noise and gives a nice warmth/fatness that enhances the tone without feeling obvious or intrusive.

16. gsquare

gsquare Pedal Breeders' BIGBoardClub#104;CabronitaClub#8 Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Peoria, AZ
    Origin Effects Cali TX-P, it sounds really good, I even leave the boost on all the time, it just adds a little something

I shoul add, when I use a small setup, I like my Keeley 2–knob, works really good

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    SirMjac28 and blindrabbit like this.
  17. oranje

oranje I like Turtles Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2010
    San Diego
    My Smoothie, gristly fatness.

18. Ultradust

Ultradust

May 19, 2007
    Seoul, Republic of Korea
    General Manger, Moollon
    Not the best bass compressor by far (and the simple but very able Demeter Compulator is my favorite go-to comp when I need to dial something in), but when I need an easy set-and-go pedal that does the trick for both hard and soft finger dynamics in one setting, I'll use my old Pedalworx McSqueeze, set to 10:00 - 11:30 or so. Orange Squeeze-based but with a tad less colorization, if there's anything tone-related that I need to add, I'll just use post-comp EQ in the signal chain.

pedalworx_mcsqueeze_001.

19. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    it used to be te Demeter compulator. now I have the boss lm2-b. I will get the Keeley bassist and have the lm2-b on one board, Keeley on the other.

gsquare likes this.
  20. That Coyote

That Coyote Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2017
    Keeley bassist. Always on. Love it!