1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

your amp@rehearsal: behind or in front of you?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by maschine, Feb 18, 2008.

1. maschine

maschine

Sep 13, 2007
    Germany
    Hey folks,
    I'm just wondering how you setup your amp at your rehearsals. Do you place it in your back or in front of you?
    Cheers
    M

2. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Usually on my side so I can hear better.

3. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Behind me. Need to hear it and all that.

4. On the other side of the room. That way I know its loud enough for everyone to hear and I can hear it sit in the mix.

5. Dravic

Dravic

Feb 15, 2008
    St.Paul MN
    Usually behind me like a regular gig setup. I also tend to practice with a full PA too if I can and run a monitor with just a voice in it...

6. Behind and next to the drummer. Then I move myself as far forward and away as my cable will let me (18') so I can get an idea of what my volume is and can adjust accordingly.

7. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    @rehearsal? My practice amp is a 100 watt 1x15 combo. I point it at the drummer and then I sit on it. Drummer can hear my amp and see my hands. Also, parts of my anatomy get all tingly and then numb after a few minutes.

8. maschine

maschine

Sep 13, 2007
    Germany
    ok guys, thanks for your answers.

I'm planning to place my amp at the opposite wall, while I stand beside the hihats. Hopefully, the drummer and me are getting the full bass experience...

9. We rehearse in a small space and at low volume, so I place my speaker so the drummer can hear best. He needs to know what I'm playing so he can play against my bass line. The guitar player usually doesn't care what I play and the singer is concentrating so much on her own singing that she doesn't hear me anyway, so I go for the path of least resistance....and best results.
    It works for us. Your results may vary, yada yada :D

10. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Right behind me, so I can feel my jeans flappin' in the bassy wind.

And after I hit Taco Bell, the bassy wind can blow away my bassy wind. ;)

11. in the studio we rent out they have it set up so the bass amp is right near the drum kit and the two guitar amps are on the side walls facing each other, so not much moving is possible... and im usually standing infront of my amp and near the drummer, but at yesturday's rehersal/jam i stood far away from my amp cuz i kept getting headaches lol and i liked it better where i was, far away from the amps so i can hear everything evenly

12. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    :cool: In my many years of experience, I find that, when possible, the band should be set-up just like you do when playing out. Reasons are when you do play out, everyone is comfortable with their position since you've practice it that way. You're not accoustomed to being in another position and hearing a different sound ore mix. I'm also including everyone's equipment, unless it's just not possiblle. You get your sound set then and everrybody gets cozy with placement. Sound only be a matter of tweaking when you get to the gig. By the way, we don't run the mains, but do use the monitors for the same reasons.

13. Behind me.

14. BackwaterBass

BackwaterBass

Feb 18, 2008
    Kentucky
    Always right behind or beside me and as close as I can get. We don't use monitors at rehearsal so I gotta be close to hear it on top of 2 loud guitarists and a drummer.

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    is this a trick question?

16. 2Loud4You

2Loud4You

Jan 18, 2008
    Norcross, GA
    Right behind me. We practice in my basement and set up as if we're on stage. That's the most realistic way IMO.

17. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    Same as others - we're rehearsing with the band positioned exactly like in a live situation, so my rig is always behind me.

18. bassman639

bassman639

Dec 23, 2006
    northeast ,pa
    we all set up the way we go and play at a gig, my amp is behind and to the side

19. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    doesn't matter too much as long as I can reach the knobs and have room for a chair or something else to sit on.

20. My amp is generally behind me, although it's most often more to the left of me so I can hear the rest of the band better.