1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your approach to perfecting intonation

Discussion in 'Ask Lynn Seaton' started by hdiddy, Feb 26, 2015.

1. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Hi Lynn,

I'd like to hear what your personal approach to working on intonation. Everybody has their ways, but I'd like to know what YOU do?

Thanks.
    -Huy

Leo Smith likes this.
  2. Lynn Seaton

Lynn Seaton Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2006
    Denton, TX
    Hi, One of the things I like to do is play scales and arpeggios with play a long records over changes. This would mean if the chord lasts one bar, an 8 note scale would only be played ascending then the next chord in the next bar etc. With arpeggios, one bar chords will allow you to go up and then back down. With shorter duration changes, one would only be able to do part of each.
    Aebersold volume 26 is another great tool. It features chords to practice many jazz scales for altered chords.
    Playing scales and arpeggios with a single pitch drone is also very helpful. Many tuners have a feature to play a drone.
    Of course doing all of this with the bow in addition to pizz is great. As we all know, the bow reveals a lot about our pitch!