1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your assistance...EMG-OBP-3 volume issues

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TRichardsbass, Jun 13, 2012.

1. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Inactive Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    Hello everyone. I have a bass with EMG J pickups in it, and an OBP-3 preamp.

The volume pots do not seem to shut off. When rotated to the off position, I still have volume and bleed.

I checked the grounds, re-soldered them, seems to not have effected it.

I am leaning toward bad pot(s), but when I cleaned up one solder joint the problem "jumped" to the other volume pot. Weird, not sure why.

Anyone have this system in their instruments and experienced similar? before I completely re-wire this, want to see if there is something obvious I missed.

Thanks.

TonyP- likes this.
  2. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I have 3 basses that I installed these into and I've not had anything like that. I had my tech install them so I can't offer you any advice of value regarding the issue, except to say it shouldn't do that.

I think your best bet at this point would be to just rewire it. Once you know everything's as it should be and you still have a problem, then you can look for faulty components

3. Did you follow the diagram carefully? Perhaps you're not grounded to your output jack properly? That is indeed a weird one...

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Dumb question...they are 25k pots, right?

5. TRichardsbass

Jun 3, 2009
    Yes, 25K pots. The bass is brand new. The pots could be bad, but I suspect you wouldn't have two bad pots in a brand new bass, nor that you would burn two out soldering in a brand new bass. To me its almost like there is residual current in reverse coming from the OBP. Shouldn't really effect it, as the OBP is between the volume pot and the jack, and its the volume pots that won't go completely zero.

I have two new 25K pots on the way, should be here tomorrow. What really interests me is that in order to install them you have to essentially rewire the bass, so if this solves the problem, I'll never really know what caused it. Yes, the bass will be fixed, but hell, I'd love to know what it is so that I can prevent it in the future.

tom

6. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Just draw a schematic of the way it's wired now and then compare it to Aguilar's instructions. You'll find the problem easy enough.

7. TRichardsbass

Jun 3, 2009
    Problem solved. One of the pots was bad, and the other the soldered melted through to the lead when attaching the ground to the pot (I hate when people solder this way) so it exacerbated the issue.

Bass is now good as new. Wait, it was new to begin with...

8. I have the exact same problem and it has done my head in for the past 2 days. The thing that drives me mad is that I get it to work where the volume pans down to off but then for some reason it doesn't quite pan right down and I haven't altered anything.
    I noticed if I slightly moved one of the ground wires on the volumes pots, the volume cuts completely but the wire is not loose. Then when I let go it comes on again.
    I have re-soldered many times and followed the diagram correctly and keep getting the same problem.
    I have bought new pots today and I am gonna have another crack at it. I have also gone from 50K to 25K.
    If this doesn't work it's going to a shop.

9. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Have you replaced the faulty wire? If it's not loose at either of the ends, it's probably an issue inside the rubber/cloth shielding and the wire is damaged. Replacing it should fix that issue.

10. I replaced the wire and the pots just now and it's working great. Finally, I can play it. It sounds great. I think the bridge volume pot had problems too.

11. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt

Feb 11, 2010
    S/E Idaho
    Check your pots with an ohm meter :)