1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Your backup to your backup to your backup... this is when things get sketchy!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by christw, Jul 24, 2012.

1. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    Folks, sometimes everything goes wrong. Tonight my amp lost a preamp tube tonight so I had to run through the PA. Not so bad on it's own but through a series of events in these past few weeks, my main amp is now down with a bad preamp tube (300 Pro), my backup amp was just sold (ShuttleMAX 12.0), my new backup won't be here until next week (Buster 210), and my backup's backup (B-12XTC) still needs a tech visit and cord update before gigging. What's that leave me? The bassist's blues and the trusty old B-15.

There's a moral to my story and it's that you should never get complacent. I've been putting off a few things like buying spare tubes or having the B-12XTC serviced and it almost bit me in the butt. If I didn't have an excessive amount of amps, I'd be in some pretty serious hot water right about now. I'm going to be gigging with 30 watts and 2x15's Thursday where I'm used to 300 watts and a 410 in an often loud three piece. Looks like we'll have to keep it down... ;)

Anyone ever find themselves in a situation where you're scraping together a rig just to have something to gig with?

2. Not me personally. Might I suggest miking the B15. The B15 with 2 15" will do you fine on stage and let the PA handle out front. :)

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You live in Dayton! How hard could it be to get a 12ax7 in Dayton?

And don't be a wuss...I use a B-15 and two 115's all the time. I thought I raised you better than that! ;)

4. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    It's a small dive bar with no PA, only what we bring. We'd have to keep the volume in check anyway so using the B-15 isn't a huge deal. It's still enough to make me nervous if I have enough power though. :meh:

5. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    sounds like a trip to PE tomorrow...

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I've been in plenty of situations where we cobbled some stuff together to make the gig go, but never in as fine a situation as yours.

You're "down to" a B-15 and a couple of 15's.......surely not a bad place to be.;)

7. RadioactiveGuy4

RadioactiveGuy4 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    Heck I live in Dayton. I can sell you a 12ax7.

8. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Heck, I live in 12ax7. I can sell you Dayton.

9. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    I never go to a gig without the Eden WTX260 in my cable bag. At 4 lbs I forget it's even there.
    In this day and age with affordable class D micro amps that sound pretty good you owe it to yourself to budget one as a backup.

10. RadioactiveGuy4

RadioactiveGuy4 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    Man... you would be lucky to get anything for Dayton... on second thought I got some dryer lint I would trade for it. :bag:

11. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    No, never had anything go down but I'll embrace this thread as a warning....."two is one, and one is none". I have a spare Hartke 3500 and QSC 1450 (for the PA) which I'll pad, box, and stow in the band trailer.

Riis

12. First, owning the SM 12.0 gives me some peace. (2 amps and all) I went through a patch in the last 2 yrs where one thing after another went south. And I mean everything (very high end bass heads and cabs went out out for one reason or another names withheld cause they are great co.'s)

But I will list my options;

ShuttleMax 12.0
    Amprg PF 500
    Glockenklang Soul (down after 12 yrs of FAITHFULL SERVICE)
    Sunn 200 S
    Ampeg B-15 (?) 70's
    Desparate.......
    Guild Thunderbass
    Measa Boggie F-50..haha
    Fender Brownface Pro w/JBL D130....sounds great w/ bass

ok I quit

13. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I gig a Mesa M9 mainly and had a GK MB Fusion packed away in my gig bag as a backup until yesterday (sold it).

I also carry around a cheap Yorkville DI ($20 used) and a mic cable that works just fine if my amp blows up.

If I gigged more than 2-3 times a month, I would likely have a GK MB200 or something tiny and cheap in my gig bag full time just as a backup. I got rid of the MB Fusion as having a $500+ amp in my gig bag just in case my amp died was overkill for me..... especially since I have 3 $1000+ bass amps in my arsenal.

14. HertzWhenIPlay

HertzWhenIPlay

Jan 15, 2011
    I like things that go BOOM
    I gig with a mesa m-pulse.
    sold my backup (LMIII)
    if not being used for PA duty i have a qsc plx 1804
    keep a buster combo in the studio
    building a frankenstein backup combo with secret parts (ooh lala)

15. My main giging amps are either an ART Pro channel II rack mount set up (Peavey IPR) or a Peavey classic 400, depending on what I am doing. I always have my PF-500 in my box of cables as a back up. If the main amps and my back up fail I still have my Mark VIII XP as my back up's, back up's, back up. The Mark amp could deflect a warhead and still play a show.

16. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    Not bad. Fair prices are hard to find though. :bag:

Touché! This rig is where I'd like to be 99% of the time. Unfortunately, this band is the reason I can't right now!

I'll be going to Cinci to get a little maintenance on my custom from Justin Kennedy today so it's surely a possibility. I might drop off the B-12XTC head at Chrome Dome while I'm at it.

Sounds like several of you have a longer backup to backup list than I. :D

17. makohund

makohund

Dec 12, 2002
    In my rack I have a Carvin BX1500 and an IPR 3000. On my pedalboard is a VT Deluxe.

If I lose a channel on the BX, I still have another. If I lose both, I can go through either on the IPR. If I lose the BX pre, or the entire head, I can use the VTD as a pre. If I lose the entire rack, I still have the VTD and any power amp or PA channel that might be avail. If I lose the entire rack AND the VTD... screw it. Fate has determined I'm not supposed to be playing, and feels so strongly about it that I'd best not argue. :)

Might be kinda weird to have a backup with double the power of my main head, but hey... it'll get the job done, that's what matters.

18. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    + a bunch!

19. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I love playing a B-15 but there's a time and a place... that band isn't it. ;)

Good news is that I had my J Worrell 6er setup, dropped of the B-12XTC head for a tune-up, and picked up some spare 12AX7 while I was out today. The Fender should be up and kicking for the gig!

20. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    That's why I ran my Sansamp RBI into the power section of my SVT 3PRO for years. If the Sansamp ever failed (in itself very unlikely), I still had a fully functioning amp in my rack as a backup. And if the poweramp on the 3PRO every died, the Sansamp was still good going straight to the PA.

If I'd ever go on tour again, I'd probably bring a similar rig, and a Sansamp BDDI as a backup backup.