1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Your band Pet Peeves!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Octaves, Aug 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Octaves

Octaves

Jun 22, 2012
    This is not a hate thread about your band, it is more of a venting space anout things that really annoy you about your current band, or a band you were previously in. Hopefully, it will relieve some tension.

My suggestion is to mention your pet peeve/s (yes, you can have more than one!), and how they effect you.

Here goes:

General pet peeve: band members who, after tuning their instruments, continue to 'noodle around' on said instrument for five-ten mins before getting into rehearsing the setlist.

Pet peeve: band members who noodle around on their instruments really loud, when another band member is trying to talk (make a point about a song, or band-related topic).

My new pet peeve: band members who insist on continuing to play really loud (noodle chords, phrases etc) when we're packing up. We've already had 2+ hours of LOUD music, why would i want to hear you play your splinteringly loud chords at 9pm, when i'm ready to come down and get into my car for the drive home?

Minor pet peeve: when band member suggests to work on XYZ songs, you prepare them, and rest of band don't do it adequately.

Minor pet peeve 2: I speak up when i know i'm right about a song structure, and i am told i am wrong!

Tell me yours.

I promise i will lend a sympathetic ear :-/

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    Oddly, csc2048b, carsbybigd and 3 others like this.
  2. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    my pet peeve #1: The rest of the guys don't show up when the drummer cannot make it.
    my pet peeve #2: The singer knows sh*t about gear.

my minor pet peeve: I amn't allowed to include funky rhythms in our death metal songs :bored:

3. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Your first two, definitely. I shouldn't have to wear my earplugs when we are trying to have a conversation about developing a song. The singer talks through his mic, but I don't have a mic.

Ductapeman and 1954bassman like this.
  4. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    My biggest pet peeve with any band is those band members who confuse "practice" with "rehearsal". Two entirely different entities.

5. flexiblemile

flexiblemile

Apr 19, 2016
    this is more of a gig pet peeve: When there's 12 amps on a tiny stage because no band wants to share their gear/use the other bands

6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Long list but any band members that are...

Dishonest
    late
    large ego
    lying
    drugged
    drunk
    loud
    stupid
    lazy
    backstabbing
    un- rehearsed
    unavailable
    disinterested
    sloppy
    rude

7. Vines

Vines

Mar 31, 2016
    CT
    Not starting the next song right away at shows. It always takes like 10-15 seconds to get into our next tune when the drummer or guitar player starts it off. That time feels like an eternity to me. We're working on it...

Atshen, SuperK, Twobass and 3 others like this.
  8. just a couple:
    Band leader who takes vacation every couple of weeks.
    Since i am the singer -BV's over the singer's part. Who is singing this song?!
    (i should just be glad there are BV's) ;)
    Work on songs we agreed on and no one else has?!:rollno:

9. I have several but they all boil down to one real problem:

MUSICIANS WHO REFUSE OR ARE UNABLE TO DO THEIR HOMEWORK!

murphy, Zodion, FunkySpoo and 9 others like this.
  10. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Lack of 'on stage flair' from everyone but me and the singer. Other than that they're a great bunch that I can't say a bad word about

Dgl44 likes this.
  11. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    People who change established plans last minute and people who are seem to cannot step outside of their own opinions / ideas and be willing to try other things; not musically but gig / band management wise.

And that's all I really have to whine about in my current band.

Wow, I'm lucky.

12. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    all of the above...^ Plus band mates who wear a blue tooth earpiece for their phone while playing - both at rehearsal and gigs.

bassbully likes this.
  13. Kristoff16

Kristoff16

May 29, 2016
    Not in this order...

When I am the only one in our band that will even look out into the audience

When the guitarist/lead singer tells me how to play and tries to talk to me about music theory for an hour after every practice

When in practice the lead singer tells us he will go one place with the song map and he goes somewhere else during the performance and the I screw up and make myself look like a fool

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Not learning the damn songs!
    Noodling!
    Not being prepared!
    Noodling!
    Arguing about song structure when it's obvious you have not listened to the song!
    Noodling!
    Being sucky!
    Wasting time during rehearsals either by yakking or noodling something other than the song we're working on!

Oh, did I mention noodling??

1. Band members who show up 15 min late to rehearsal and/or take forever to setup. Just cut the small talk, already: We rent this studio by the hour and the meter is running;
    2. Band members who use band rehearsal time to work out their part, or haven't worked their harmonies prior to full band rehearsal (I'm looking at you, horn section);
    3. Oblivious drummer who noodles while band leader is trying to say something, or others are trying to ask a question to the band leader;
    4. Band members who have their list of conditions to gig: "I refuse to play in bar so-and-so / on weeknights / etc". If your current life situation is incompatible with gigging, you should have said so earlier.
    That pretty much covers it.

murphy likes this.
  15. Mark_70

Mark_70

Dec 31, 2013
    Minnesota
    (1) Noodling in between songs
    (2) Speeding up during a song
    (3) Too many alcoholic beverages to the point it impacts the performance.

Having said that - this stuff isn't par for the course. I love the boys in the band and I love the gigging :)
    Good times - almost all of the time

Regards
    Mark

murphy and foolforthecity like this.
  16. DavC

DavC

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    player who can't sing , at all ...

singers who don't play are fairly useless to me , ... unless they're phenomenal ..!!

musicians who no nothing about gear .. ! please , go read a manual

drummers who rush fills , or try to play crap that they obviously can't - then lose the beat .. !!

drama ... i'm already married , i've got enough of that

drugs / drunks ... been there , done that - please grow up

sm49341 likes this.
  17. noagreement

noagreement

Oct 12, 2006
    Yo Philly!
    #1 - Singer(s) that suggest a song and then realize that the recorded key doesn't work for them after everyone has already learned the tune. Sometimes not a big deal, but some tunes impossible to transpose on the fly.

#2 - Stupid nonsense banter between every song at gigs (mostly "Hey, we're the so and so band"). Just shut up and play!

18. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Rock band: Lately, I have had just scandalous good luck. We all get along, we all laugh a lot, and after 15 months people from other bands in our market are starting to show up at our gigs to see what the shouting is all about. Heh heh.

Country band: Extremely desultory about getting gigs. Lead guitarist, who is also a classical musician, spends a lot of time speaking earnestly about orchestral concepts, but I can't complain that much, he's pretty funny about it. This is a gig I do because the BL is totally committed to preserving the values of '50s-'60s country music. I enjoy playing with True Believers. :)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  19. dalahorse

dalahorse

Apr 14, 2010
    US-CO-Aurora
    1: Drunk, stoned, or otherwise intoxicated.
    2: Volume. Marshall stacks and hard hitting drummers make my ears bleed. Learn to play your instrument appropriately in the group setting.
    3: Not knowing the material. Except for writing sessions, band rehearsal is refining songs as a band. Learn the songs on your own.
    4: Late. Be ready for the downbeat of first song at the planned time. Show up early to set up, tune, and quietly warm up on your own time.
    5: Noodling. Wank off with your instrument in private.

murphy and foolforthecity like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021