Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your band website

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Aug 8, 2005.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    How did you get your band's website up n running? I had quotes ranging from $700 - 2500 to set up and maintain a website. Too much.

I constructed a free geocities website, but it has limitations and ideally, you'd like one with your band as the domain name.

Do those Yahoo upgraded websites where you can pay somewhere in the neighboorhood of $12/mo for a site with your own domain name really work? Or are there others. I can get around OK on the computer but am no whiz. I would need web tools that are easy to use.

I'm not looking for anything fancy, but we're looking to upgrade.

2. Vicar Philip

Vicar Philip

Sep 15, 2004
    Illinois
    Hey mpg,

I initially tried a company called Mr. Band, but the $35/month was a little pricey for us. I wound up using Omnis Network for webspace. You can also get the domain name from them. It's pretty reasonable, I think like $30 for 3 months? Something like that.

As for the actual web pages, I made them myself using Mozilla. Nothing fancy, but I found some background textures on the web and played with Photoshop to create some half-ass decent text images.

Full Throttle is the name of our band, you wouldn't believe how many other bands use that! Good luck!

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    we had a guitar player who is a web guy, so its free.

what you could do. is buy some html for dummies books, and do a d.i.y. site yourself and save all the money.

once you get the hang of it, its cake.

4. he still has to pay for webspace and domain name unless he can host it somewhere himself and uses a .tk adress or somthing like that but then there are ads :meh:

5. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    Get a cheap hosting and domain name package (For example, I reguarly use http://www.ipowerweb.com/ ), then either learn html or persuade a friend to contruct a site for you. Depending on you/your friend's abilities, you may want to hire a professional to get something that looks really good.

If you decide to learn yourself, I can highly recommend http://www.w3schools.com/ . I'd advise learning xhtml and css. It's the way of the future, man! :D

6. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i thought he meant building the site.

elgin hosting is who we use.

7. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    www.pagetutor.com is a great resource for simple html. I built the ghetto site in my signature with the few things I learned on it.

If you have a high speed connection, they usually come with a little space on a web server. You don't need a lot of space for a simple page, so that can be a "free" solution. Just do a domain redirect so your domain name redirects to your provider's server.

8. 4x4Given

4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I've done a number of websites with iPowerWeb. I can't say enough about those folks. My latest design is www.ucora.org and is took a weekend to put together. More features than you can shake a large stick at and with 2gb of drive space, plenty of room to store audio / video clips, host forums, photo galleries, online web store etc. Bandwith? I get 50GB a month. That's a bunch. And speed? How about dual OC192 backbone connections? Cost? I'm paying $6.95 a month.

Check them out - www.ipowerweb.com

9. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    These are all really good and appreciated suggestions.

10. rfalter

rfalter

Jul 20, 2004
    Pasadena, MD

11. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm using Go Daddy. It's very intuitive and no programming knowledge is required (although I have some). All it is is basically point and click or drag and drop.

You can get keyword search, guest book, customizable forms, anchor links, event calendar, 470 customizable templates, domain name, mouseovers, animations, and sound for as little as $14.95 for the software and $2.95 - $12.95 per month for hosting.

Here's a link:

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/website.asp?se=+&ci=264

12. Another ipowerweb user here. Been hosting with them for 3 years now, and not had many problems at all. Couple of times their DNS has bombed, but no biggy. Each time was resolved in under an hour without any interaction from myself.

As far as building a site, I highly recommend getting whoever you get to build it to use php pages under a html title page.

For instance my site blackninjakitty.com/herps/ uses a html page for the top bar only ( the logo, and the menu system which is static ), then I use .php pages for everything else. The advantage is you can get someone to make you a nice site, but not have to pay them to maintain it. All you need to do is use an app that allows editing of php docs, and you can upload your "news" or "schedule" pages seperately and with very little effort. Really no more effort than retyping a word doc and uploading it.

http://htmlgoodies.com/ is a good site for html resources and learning.

13. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    Bandtastic!

Check it out. We use him for hosing and he also has really slick band management software applications that go with your fee...Calenders, e-mail creation tools, Tutorials, Contact pages, Contract Templates, Upload MP3's, pictures etc...My drummer is paying for it and I am "webdude" it really isn't that hard...he sends directions on how to set it up...I think it's around $20.00 per month.

Bandtastic Tell Marc I sent you

Jim

14. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I make our website and have hosting through http://www.dreamhost.com

But, you need some web design experiecne as you need to use an FTP client to access it. Paying $7.95 a month

15. What about www.piczo.com .(its free) my bands on piczo and its easy to do.