Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by whiteshadow, Jul 9, 2001.

1. whiteshadow

whiteshadow

Jul 3, 2001
    Ohio
    Hey, my "cover" band has recently decided to start writing songs, or at least try to, (we don't even have a name yet, suggestions?). Anyhow, how do your bands go about writing songs? I'm sure there's a different way for everyone but I'd like to hear some of your methods. Thanks...

2. You can have our old band name "Purple Cheese Factory" :). For the most part when we write songs its just a riff or two that myself or our lead guitarist came up with at home, then we will sit down and try and come up with a bassline or main guitar riff (whatever is missing), then we would work on arranging it all. When we have that all finished we just play it and our drummer comes in with his part, then maybe he will break a drum stick because he hits the damn drums so freaking hard, even though we just have cheapo amps, because he is a selfish SOB and just wants to drown everyone else out so he can be in the spotlight even though it is painful to listen to. Next, we have a moment of relief where we can hear ourselves while he gets a new stick, and then POW!! he comes in again and everytime he pumels the snare your ear drums almost pop. Then usually we will stop and maybe I'll go outside for some relief, making sure to hide from anyone within earshot of our music out of embarrasment even though I'm not the drummer. Ummmm, yeah then the lyrics. It work differently sometimes though, on one song we are working on now I came up with a bassline then as I was playing I came up with lyrics and a melody for the singing.

I have some issues with our drummer.

3. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    well, usually what happens is i write a simple chord progression on guitar and then the guitarist/lead singer(same guy) will take it and kinda spice up a little and we take to a practice and fit it together with the rest of the band. i wait to see what the drummer does before writing an actual bassline because we play off of each other a lot. and the the singer writes lyrics and poof a song....

4. I think everyone has their own way, but here is how we do it. Usually I will think of a topic to sing about and I will write some lyrics and occasionally a few riffs. Then I give them to our singer/guitarist who will write some more music, but mainly the melody. We then take this rough idea together as a whole and the drummer helps with the more technical stuff to do with the vocals and the textbook music stuff (she is a piano player and singing teacher also :)) The guitarist and I (bass) will go over some musical stuff together (cool parts, bridges, whatever) We then put in all of our ideas as a group, add some more cool parts some back-up vocals and it all works together like clockwork. The weirdest thing is we have never gotten into a fight yet. We have been playing together for about 5 years and as a serious band for around 2 years. As far as how long this takes us sometimes a week, sometimes it never gets done or sometimes you have to go over a part and over and over and over ...you get the idea. If I had any advice it would be this: focus and use everyones strengths work together as a team and don't be afraid to put idea's on the shelf. If you are just putting together music for the sake of having song and it is not something you would want to listen to yourself then put in a little more effort. And most of all work hard but always have fun.

hey, this is how we do it probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense it does to me but I do it every week.

have fun

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Music related, and I'm thinking this is a toss up between GEN INSTRUCTION and MISCELLANEOUS. I'll go with MISC.

6. Lord Bishop

Lord Bishop Guest

Jul 16, 2001
    Brooklyn N.Y.
    With my band song writing happens Three ways, the first way seems to be the most common, starting with a riff or two and the rest of the band picks it up. The second way, one of us will write a song and the rest of us just play along and the Third way is the best and coolest way, and that's when it just happens. One player just feeds off of the next and viola! It's a song. Some of our better songs happened that way.

7. We wait for the guitarist to bring a fresh idea to practice. We try to play his idea then give up and play another cover!!!

8. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Our guitarist usually comes with riffs or with complete songs. If he just comes with riffs then we all pitch in and make a song that we´re happy with. When the song is done, then we start thinking about lyrics. We usually sit down and discuss what we´re gonna write about. We make sure we are singing about something worthwhile singing about. Then we pitch in lines, ideas until the lyrics are complete. Voila, we have ourselves a new song.

9. My guitarist makes up riffs. I add a nice bass line. Either I add words I have already written, or we make up some if none are suitable. Then we spend a week or so explaining to the drummer where to come in. And a month or so explaining where to stop.

10. jrich

jrich

Jul 10, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Sounds like our band! Maybe we should swap drummers for a while just so we know that our drummer isn't the only one who is like that!

Most of our songs have been written with one part already completed (lyrix, bassline, or guitar) and then everyone else just adds their 2cents. Sometimes one of us will write an entire song except the lyrix and have the other players learn those parts, and then add their personal touch to them. But always, the drummer is the last to come in (which sux because I like to play off of the drum part and he never plays off of the bass part) and then he usually screws it up.

11. all of our songs we still from other bands and change them a little! it's quick and easy, and you know people will like them!:)

seriously, all of our songs are written at home by the two guitars, and then me and the drummer will flow along and make our own stuff up. but one thing i like doing is just playing! where someone will just starting playing a riff or something then everyone just rocks out, that's when you get right into it! i think that only works if you have a really big session before hand, if your into that stuff!:)