Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your bands first cover?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Figjam, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What was it? (assuming you played at least one cover)

2. Ace123

Ace123

Sep 25, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Hearbreaker by led Zeppelin, the first song my guitarist and i both learned.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Heartbreaker has a hard guitar solo in it and that was your guitarists FIRST SONG?Or was it the first song that you guys learned together?

4. In the metal band it was "The Usurper" by Celtic Frost.

In the rock band we're doing "Message in a Bottle" by The Police .... rocked up a bit.

Actually when I joined they were doing some '80s tune "Send Me an Angel" but I quickly put a stop to that :D

5. First two songs my band learned was:

"Anarchy in the U.K." Megadeth version
    "Paranoid" Black Sabbath

Both very kick ass songs.....

6. Ace123

Ace123

Sep 25, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Ooops. i forgot to mention that he didn't actually play the solo, instead we just played it into the Peter Gunn theme and then back into the verses. He could never play that solo, its crazy. But yeah, its the first song we both learned together and MY first song.

7. *is in a Tool cover band*

First two we chose were The Grudge and Ticks & Leeches.

8. GDAE

GDAE

Aug 14, 2001
    Iowa
    Carousel by blink 182. It was the first song I learned to play and I'm pretty sure it was the first cover my band played all the way through. We did Teen Spirit around the same time, but didn't get the solo until way later.

9. crazy train- Ozzy
    While My Guitar Gently weeps- The Beatles

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    O yea, forgot to mention MY bands first cover. 311- Beautiful Disaster.

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I think it was Black Night by Deep Purple. It was then when I formed a bad habit with tabs.. :(

12. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Greenday Hitching a ride

13. Summer of '69:bassist:

14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    When I Come Around

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Silly putty...I think

16. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    my first band was a chili pepper cover band, the first songs we worked on were "Get up and Jump" and "Sir Psycho Sexy" but i bailed before we played them live.

i am in a new band and we are trying to think of some cool songs to work on. we'll most likely do a Jimi song or two.

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    my first jam with a guitarist and drummer was a simple set list.

Breaking the law - Judas Priest
    Sin City - AC/DC
    Rock & Roll - Led Zep
    Stranglehold - Ted Nugent
    Message in a bottle - Police
    Roadhouse Blues - Doors

all played as 1/2 hour guitar jams... no singer

first cover with a full band in front of people was either "2 tickets to paradise" by Eddie Money or "Tom Sawyer" by Rush...I forget which show was first

18. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    Collective Soul - Gel, December, and Heavy(don't like that one). We did covers to fill in the set(only had 4 originals then). Now we still sometimes do December, along with Metallica's "For Whom the Bell Tolls", and Skynyrd's "Gimme 3 Steps"

19. BertBert

BertBert

Nov 9, 2002
    Indianapolis
    I'm in a Christian rock/funk/blues band fronted by a singer/songwriter with INCREDIBLE talent. We have done all original stuff but lately to expand our horizons we started practicing the following covers:

- "Black Water" -- Doobie Bros. (Have you ever heard anybody cover this?)

- "Higher Ground" -- Stevie Wonder. We're having a lot of fun with this one.

- "Jeans On" -- Keith Urban.

- "Dance With Me Tonight" from the soundtrack to "That Thing You Do". This song is incredibly fun to do.

We've also toyed around with "Jesus Just Left Chicago" before and have occasionally done a super-funked-up version of "Come Into This House" by Carman, who I can't stand. :)

Covers can be a lot of fun if you do ones that are a little unusual and put your band's own unique signature on them.

20. Nirvana - Come as you are. my first bass line ever :).

well, except for the Police song that our music teacher let us try once. but that was just a chord progression, not a bass line :p