1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your basslines

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by thetawaves, Oct 4, 2008.

1. thetawaves

thetawaves

Dec 29, 2006
    I've started to notice that the lines I've come out with recently are decidedly 'samey', have tried listening/playing along to an entirely different load of genres of music for a wee while to very little avail. Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated :)

2. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Well the common denominator is that YOU are playing those basslines. Maybe what you hear is your playing style. :)

However, it doesn't hurt to expand your vocabulary. Listen analytically to other genres to get new ideas to incorporate in your playing and copy the basslines you hear. The bass teacher I had a few years back once forced me to learn one song from Standing In The Shadows Of Motown (I'm Gonna Make You Love Me), and from that song only I got plenty of new ideas about rhythmic phrasing and note selection. I highly recommend that book. Nothing wrong to take influences from a bassist as great as Jamerson was. :)

3. thetawaves

thetawaves

Dec 29, 2006
    humm, good idea. Thanks for the advice mr :) Can't say I've had a crack at motown of any description so that doesn't seem a bad place to start at all!

thankyou again, very much appreciated.

4. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario

Definitely agree with that. Some of my songs kinda sound similar but I' m proud that they are my own creations. :bassist:

Fred

5. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    You're welcome. :)