1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your beloved amp head falling. What do you do?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ALiP BoB, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Option 1

16 vote(s)
    29.1%
  2. Option 2

8 vote(s)
    14.5%
  3. Option 3

14 vote(s)
    25.5%
  4. Others

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  5. Pray the floor is cushioned with carrots

13 vote(s)
    23.6%
  1. I'm not talking light. I'm talking Ampeg SVT-II amp head heavy or heavier. What do you do?

1. Try to catch it. (Jason Newsted injured himself doing this.)
    2. Let it fall, pray it will be ok (and pray you'd at least had put it inside a rack case)
    3. IT WON'T HAPPEN, IT JUST WON'T! :bawl:

Discuss.

2. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    in retrospect... I should have chosen "others"...

"poop my pants."

3. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    my mesa 400+ actually fell once, from a 6x10:eek: . i still don't even know for sure what happened but i must have pulled too hard on the instrument cord while playing and the whole stack fell over! all was well, never had a single problem with anything that went through the fall......
    my current amp weighs about as much as an svt, and as much as i'd love to try and catch it i'm going to let it go and get out of the way! i'd much rather pay for an amp t be repaired or buy another instead of having to go through foot/back/hand/neck surgery.......

4. i dont have an amp head:bawl:

5. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    I would have a problem cos i have a Little Mark 2

6. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    It depends. If a 610 rig with a head is falling towards me in the front and I am standing right there I will catch it by putting my chest and hands against it (if I have my bass on I would hop back and let it fall.

If it had already left the top of the cab/table/whateverr I would let it fall. The kinetic energy it would have gathered would rip tendons unless you work out often and hard. catching 80lbs at an odd angle + momentum= years of pain. Let it fall. However I don't see this ever happening. I always run my cable so that I cant step on it adn upp anything off.

Jonathan

7. Throw my body under it to cusion the fall.

...It's only 40 pounds! :D

8. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Option 6:

Not get emotionally attached to a piece of gear so that it becomes "beloved," wherein objectivity to the fact that it's just gear goes out the window.

9. Option 7:

I don't have an extra $900.00 and there are no more Ampeg service centers. :D

10. Id try and catch it, or hope that i dont get in trouble for the amp damaging whatever it landed on :D

11. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    I hope you all are kidding. We are the bassists. We are supposed to be the big strong guys in the band:D . How could you not try to catch your amp, for me thats $1200 down the drain.

12. Option 7 totally beats Option 6.

13. Risking sugery. Those stuff ain't light.

14. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    I'm pretty sure there should be a Man-Law on this!:)

15. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I bust out an East Asian mystic gesture and stop the fall in midair with my Force training.

16. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    Guys in cheerleading throw 100lb girls up in the air and catch them repeatedly. Surely we are more manly than cheerleaders.:ninja:

I'm not saying it wouldn't hurt to catch an amp, but pride is at stake.:)

17. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    By all of you saying you dont have money to throw away, I take none of you are smart enough to get insurance, lol

18. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    That is very, very funny!:D

19. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    yeah, yeah we all make mistakes

20. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    i'd much rather catch a cheerleader any day, for a few reasons:p .

it's alot easier to catch or throw something when you are ready for it.....