Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your best "night before the first gig" stories

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by fisk, Jul 30, 2001.

1. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I cant believe it's almost here. I had never even picked up a guitar-shaped stringed instrument until I bought my bass and tiny practice amp last December. I've taken lessons and jammed in my spare bedroom every week since then, and now my first gig is right around the corner. Its still six days away and i'm already freakin-a$$ nervous!!!!! :D

Myself and some friends who are all amatures have been working on putting together a few songs to do as an opening act for a real musician who's playing at a big party were all going to. We're only doing five songs, and i've practiced so much, i could play my parts backwards, but i'm still getting nervous.

So, to all of you who step out in front of hundreds or thousands every weekend and think nothing of it, tell me your story of your first live gig. Did it go great, horrible, funny? Any major problems? Or did you get through it ok, and had a great time?

On second thought, just tell me the good stories. I'm already in pucker-factor 6.3 right now and its only monday afternoon. I hate to think where i'll be by Saturday night.

fisk

2. We didnt do anything the night before our first gig, but the night of it we went to Showcase to celebrate. It's a strip club. It was great cause we aren't 18, they just dont check ID's.

3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    me and my band usually gets royally trashed the night before. Theres sumthing about being mildly hung over that just calms you down. Also just have fun at the gig. i always try to just goof around and make fun of people, its fun.

4. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hey Hyperlitem, its good to hear from a fellow carmellite on TB.

fisk

5. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    The nigth before my first gig ever I think I was home learning like 10 songs (Metallica, Gn´R, Nirvana stuff)...... LOL....... and only had 4 weeks playing bass...... don´t worry you´ll enjoy it no matter how it ends

6. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Well, this thread didn't exactly take off like I had hoped. But thanks anyway to the few who posted.

Two more days till saturday and our first gig. Monday morning, i'll post how things went.

fisk

7. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    hahaha fisk, your from carmel??

thats great, its cool to meet other people from carmel. Its not exactly a hot bed for music but i get by. tell my where your playing and i'd love to see you play. If its a bar that is out though cuz i'm only 18. ive been in a band with a couple guys for the last 2 years or so and ive played for about 8 years. if i don't get to go to your gig good luck.

8. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    YES!!!!!!!

I finally consider my a contributing member of bass society, instead of just a forum-reading, bedroom-jamming, Jaco wannabe. I had my first gig last Saturday night and it was awesome!

Keep in mind we are all amatures and we've been practicing for a long time to just do a few songs and open for the headliner. Most of the audience were friends of ours so the pressure level wasnt as high as it could have been. I think all of us made a few little mistakes, but nothing that caused a song to crash in the middle so it turned out fine. The applause was awesome, and people were telling us how great we sounded the rest of the evening.

I cant wait till the next time.

fisk

9. Axl

Axl

Jul 20, 2001
    Awesome...I wish I was in a band.

10. My band is doing its first show ever with one of the biggest bands in the sate, a interstate act and two other bands. Its in a pub too, so no parties to ease into the scene.

Its exactly one month away and yes i'm packing s**t already. I don't know why, its not like i haven't played in front of people before, i mean i played a few songs one New Years with my dads band.

Tis truly weird. And no matter what people say i will still be packing it.

;)

Merls

11. I've never really seen the point of strip clubs..I mean, you can look but you can't touch. And if you do touch, you sure as hell can't taste;)

12. I guess we just like to go because we really aren't allowed to be there, being underage. It started as a football team tradition and we just carried it over to the band. It was always fun going up to the club with 30 underage kids. The strippers knew we were young but they dont care.