Your Biggest Influence

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by HelpImaRock, Oct 5, 2022.

1. One bassist, one record, no exceptions.

My biggest influence is Chris Wood. I reconsidered my entire musical existence when "A Go Go" by John Scofield with Medeski, Martin, and Wood was released in 1997. I received a pre-release promo while writing for my college magazine and it's never left regular rotation.

I didn't start playing bass until much later, but when I think about how I want to sound, it always comes back to Chris Wood.

Who's yours?

2. 2112

2112 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Geddy Lee, Moving Pictures. Das it mane.

Datsgor, WRM, Alik and 16 others like this.
  3. Geezer Butler in the original incarnation of Black Sabbath. I’ll pick Paranoid since the bass sounds pretty good and the parts probably most influenced how I’ve approached the instrument over the decades, but it was really that entire era that influenced me most. Ozzy had recently gotten the boot when I was born, so I do find it a bit odd to name something older than me, but the answer seemed pretty clear when I thought about it.

4. johnnynitro

johnnynitro

Jan 14, 2012
    Mel. He plays as I feel it !

5. Combination Chris Squire/Me'Shell Ndegeocello. Me'Chris Squireocello...

kesslari, 4SG, Outtaseezun and 3 others like this.
  6. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Leo Fender, for making it all possible. Everything else is minor details, an amalgamation of everything I hear.

7. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    [​IMG]

Nashrakh, Datsgor, lovechick and 14 others like this.
  8. Tony Kanal playing on No Doubt's "Tragic Kingdom"

I won't say he's my favorite bass player of all time, and I don't actually even model my playing after him or anything. I'm not like a great bass player or anything. I don't really emulate anyone else's style. That often requires more skill and discipline than I have the time, aptitude, or drive to achieve! :laugh: I just have fun and get kinda close, lol.

I would say he's my "biggest influence" because Tragic Kingdom hit me at such an influential time of my life. I was just starting to really buy my own music and find stuff I liked. His bass lines really drive that whole album, and the pop-ska stuff was really different than anything I had heard up to the point. I found myself following and humming along with his bass parts way more than anything else. That's still one of my favorite albums.

9. Kaa

Kaa

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I've gone through phases, I would say. So many have influenced my growth, in different ways. I can't really name one who was the most influential.

10. Duff - Appetite

C36SBS6WEAIrasf.jpg

11. Richard Davis - bass on VM's Astral Weeks. I cannot play like that BUT his performance left an impression and inspired me to be a better player.

12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    John Lennon. Not gonna lie.
    If we’re limiting to bass players Mike Watt. First time I saw Minutemen is when the switch flipped from badunka note playing to applying myself to become a more serious bassist. “…yeah, yeah, world war three…”

But Lennon is really the musical hero I identified with and why I wanted to write and play music. He’s my biggest musical influence and Watt was the Bass influence.

Maybe this explains the caterwaul in my brain pan?

Timmy Liam, PrinceByTor, non and 6 others like this.
  13. Lenny JG

Lenny JG

Aug 3, 2019
    USA
    Myself

14. T-boneParish

T-boneParish Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Austin
    SteveCS, timmo97, Smalm and 16 others like this.
  15. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive

Apr 23, 2014

Who knows. Me.​

LBS-bass likes this.
  16. TyBo

TyBo

Dec 12, 2014
    Probably Paul McCartney, just kinda through osmosis. His playing was everywhere when I first started really paying attention to music. And maybe Roger Glover - can't forget playing "Smoke On the Water" with the old garage band. :)

17. Mel Schacher's playing on the GFRR Live Album made me want to be a bass player.

18. Barticus

Barticus Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2017
    Midwest
    +1
    For “first’ influence

DJ Bebop, PrinceByTor and 2112 like this.
  19. roccobass

roccobass Still funkin’ in the free world.

Jun 25, 2014
    California
    Rocco Prestia :cool:
    Chris Squire :thumbsup:
    Percy Jones :woot:

a 3 way tie.

gebass6, DJ Bebop, kesslari and 5 others like this.
  20. Cave Puppy

Cave Puppy "Humph Bo, he's wond!" - John Lennon

Jan 13, 2015
    creamyj.bandcamp.com
    My Aunt. Songwriter/singer/activist/playwright/actor/etc. Recorded a Capitol Record at Muscle Shoals in 1973 and others since then. She’s in her mid 80s now and shows no sign of stopping. I don’t think I would’ve played music at all if not for her. I originally wanted to play drums but ended up on bass. Still hugely influenced by my Aunt.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022