Your Brush with Greatness?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by grooveguru, May 27, 2002.

1. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    What famous bassists have you met? About as close as I've come is to have a brief 5 second talk with Rick Anderson from the Tubes. Seems he wasn't too impressed that I also played bass and drove 2 1/2 hours to see the band. Let's hear your stories.
  2. In 1982-84 I lived and went to High School in the Netherlands. We used to see tons of great bands in small venues. I met / partied with Cliff Burton twice when they came through. Before all the Stardom and crap that ruined Metallica. May he rest in peace.

3. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Jeff Berlin
    Gary Willis
    Stanley Clarke
    Jimmy Johnson

No stories to tell, just met them at shows and talked a bit.
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Not a bassist, but I rode in an elevator with Stevie Nicks once. :eek:
  5. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I feel so unfulfilled:(
  6. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Almost forgot, Talked to Todd Rundgren in NYC. He's played a little bass.
  7. Bassists from.................

Fenix TX

8. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Harry Connick, Jr.
    George Porter, Jr.
    Tony Hall
    Will Crawford
  9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Billy Sheehan (talked after a clinic of his, the only autographed picture I have, apart from my cherished H.R. Giger autograph!!!)

Steve Bailey (met and talked at Musikmesse Frankfurt some years back, right at the time when the Bass Extremes book came out).

Hellmut Hattler (German cult bassist of Kraan and Tab Two fame)

Frieder Gottwald (German tapping monster)

Martin Engelien (who designed the preamp I use)

T.M. Stevens (also Musikmesse, he seemed to really enjoy talking to fans, very, very nice guy! He even remembered and greeted us afterwards while checking out the booths a few days later!)

Steve Vai (after a Sex & Religion concert), really nice and down-to-earth guy)

Nicko McBrain (THE party animal :D )
  10. I once played a gig here on the Isle of Wight not knowing Mark King was in the audience. One of the punters had called out 'play some Level 42' to which I'd replied 'I wish I could!'

No-one told me 'til after the gig as they didn't want to make me nervous, but I wished I'd known as I'd like to have met him.
  11. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    ive met..
    John Myung from Dream theater =D
    Jason Newsted of echo brain (it feels so good to say that)

non bassist-
    Seth Putman....
    Steve Erkle (okay i know hes prolly better than feildy)
  12. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I met the members of Jeff Lorber Fusion when the Water Sign album was new (I know, ancient history).

I met Spyro Gyro when they were a house band in Buffalo, NY at the Tralf. (even more ancient)

I talked to Stanley Clarke on the phone.

I was in a Guitar Center a couple years ago just screwin' around with a Warwick Thumb. Then this guy comes in with a couple other guys, picks up a Conklin and got busy. I reverted to just walking through some scales. It was Fred Hammond.

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  14. not that many of you have heard of her but Emma Anzai from the sick puppies-she was so nice and cool!!-shes a MAD bassist.....
  15. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Rocco P. came to a local club here in Hawaii a while back. I took a couple of my TOP CD's and sat and talked with him and actually got to play along with him. Quite humbling.

And, a few years back, Louis Johnson was starting a Bass school in Florida. I lived in Key West at the time and sent in a reply from an article in BP, that I was interested. Turned out that I was sitting home one day after work and the phone rang. My wife answered and asked who was it since they asked for me. She told me with this puzzled look on her face (because she knew all of my friends and didn't recognize the name) that some guy named Louis Johnson was on the phone. We talked for over 45 minutes!!!
  16. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Victor Wooten
    Wil Lee
  17. The coolest was hanging out with Karl Alvarez on ALL's tour bus. We talked about bass and bass players and 3rd world politics. He's a sharp guy.
    I've shaken hands and briefly spoken with Victor Wooten, Steve Bailey, Jeff Berlin and Michael Manring.. all after seeing them do clinics. Several years ago, I did a cable TV access show with a friend and through that, I got to meet and interview Billy Sheehan, Les Claypool, Doug Pinnick, Greg Christian from Testament, and the bass player from Extreme.. can't remember his name.
  18. Jonas Hellborg in NYC "95 Stanley Clarke a couple of times . And though not a bass player, I couldn't leave out Miles Davis.