Your Cheapest Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wilks, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Hey all.
    What is the cheapest bass that you've purchased?

I got my first bass for $50 Australian(about $27 US).
    It was an old onyx bass that I got second hand from one of my brothers friends. I still have it today though it doesn't work.:(

Cost of bass: $50.

All those memories: priceless

Can anybody beat that?
  2. Yep, i bough an old J-bass copy, no brand, fully playable last friday. For 10€!!! I still can't believe what a great deal I got... I fixed the electronics, put in a new nut and changed the strings (cost of parts/strings/solder ~30€) and it sounds like a choir of angels! Only problem now is that one of it's previeous owners painted it som kind of blue/green granite imitation color, wich is now partly flaking off, partly looking awful. Where's my can of Vintage White?
  3. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    rockwood pro 100 bucks
  4. my friend stole, er...borrowed indefinitely...a bass from his high school. sunburst p-bass syle, maple board, decent tone. and free is pretty f'n cheap.
  5. Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    :mad: :rolleyes: :mad:
  6. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I got a used Univox High Flier for $40 (complete w/ POS 10 watt amp) back in the late '70s. It still works!
  7. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Frescher Beatle Bass copy - $100 in 1979. Still have it.

8. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Sekova Beatle Bass copy in 1975 for $50.

Candy-apple green, strings about four inches off the fingerboard -- it was hideous.
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree. That is wrong!:mad:
  10. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    $12 for a Harmony P-copy (and those were 1984 dollars!) "P" stood for "poop," I do believe. The guy sold it to me so he could go to a Rush concert.

I do NOT still have it!
  11. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Well at least my Frescher and your Sekova were set up the same. I still can't play that damn thing :)

12. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    $12 for a Rush concert. That is cheap! ;)

13. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Well, I bought some sort of J inspired bass in the late '70s for about $ was junk.

Scored a beat but nice playing/sounding Charvel Model 3B (neck through) on eBay for $125.

My favorite cheapie is my current Squier P Special 5 that I bought brand new at Sam Ash for $179. I pulled the frets, filled the slots with polystyrene and installed Elixirs. It is an amazing feeling/playing/sounding bass for about $200.
  14. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Cheapest bass I ever got?

1971 - a very nice 1963 Gibson Thunderbird II.

Still have it, in great shape.

Eat your hearts out! :)
  15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My cheapest bass was a classical guitar that I dug out of the dumpster, back when I was too poor to afford a real bass. I defretted it and strung it up with the heaviest green weedeater string I could find.

My cheapest new bass is my SX BG-80. A real bargain at $99.00.:)
  16. whatever. i wasn't being sarcastic (surprisingly) when i said "my friend"; it really wasn't me.

(edit: plus, he's a guitarist. everything he DOES is wrong:D )
  17. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    I paid 100.00 for a 1967 fender jazz about 6 years ago! Had a kid come up to me at one of our shows and tell me he had a bass he wanted to seel for 100.00 bucks and wanted me to come over and look at it. So i did thinking it was probably one of those j.c penny basses. He pulled out a old fender hardshell case and at that point i gave him a hundred bucks because i knew that old case was worth that in the condition that it was in. But the bass went through a fire and had real bad damage to the paint and pics ups. So i had a luthiere redo the paint and i put a couple emgs in her! She is a hell of a bass! someday soon i want to find some original fender pups to but back in her and put her into her case for my daughter~
  18. my vantage, 50 canadian and came with an amp a really nice case and a pantera tab book
  19. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i think that even tho' mine wasn't the cheapest but it was a really good deal, and i didn't know.
    it was a sx bass. $30 for it. trans red p-bass
    sold it to a music store for $50 he sold it for $100.