Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your choice for a plug & play, all-purpose, fairly powerful head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Thinker, Mar 16, 2006.

1. The Thinker

The Thinker Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Hi, all:

I've generally been pleased with my current amp: an original EA iAmp (the larger, heavier white one with two fans in back).

I am finding that it is SO transparent that it seems to need significant knob turning, slide moving, and button pushing.

Don't get me wrong--when it's dialed in for a particular bass it is AWESOME. But when I switch basses I tend to find that if I just tweak the low mid frequency...cut some additional treble...change a preshape...(you get the idea). Then I have to dial it back in for another bass...

Anyway, I suspect that the root of the problem is ME--I am driven to turn all those knobs. But still, I wonder if there's an amp that would pretty much sound great flat (or with MINIMAL tweaking) and that has a fairly minimal number of options to play with.

I will not go all-tube. I mainly play rock, funk, fusion, soul, and pop. (BTW, I am pretty satisfied with my cab--SWR Goliath Jr.)

For now price is an issue--I don't want to spend more than maybe $750 (used or new), or at least in that ballpark.

So, lemme have 'em! :cool:

2. o.rion.5

o.rion.5

Oct 17, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You might want to check the Carvin B1500.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Eden heads sound great flat. I don't think Thunderfunk users are doing a lot of tweaking either.

I do nothing to my Eden when I switch basses except set in the input gain.

4. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
  5. +1 on both Eden and Thunderfunk. Since the TF is all SS, it might be more in line with what you like about the iAmp. I had an iAmp800 for a while, and the TF has just as much volume, just as much tone shaping capability (if not more).. but... sounds great virtually flat.. with just a little tweak of the enhance and timbre for the cab and room.

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Sounds like you need something with multiple channels or presets for the different basses.

7. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    GK 800RB, 700RB-II OR 1001RB-II. I'm in a cover band and our selections are extremely diverse. I'm able to easily move from one bass to another making most of my adjustments onboard the instrument itself. The only other adjustments I make are for effect which is another matter altogether. Just my .02.

Cheers,
    Hammer

8. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I didn't like my Thunderfunk experience, but it was almost certainly the cabinet I was playing through (SVT 6x10HLF). That said, even though it has a ton of knobs on it, a plug and play guy could very easily get a great tone from it, I'm sure.

I find that GK amps also sound good flat. The B1500 also looks enticing.

9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I like the Carvin B1500, but really, all of the stuff mentioned up to this point is good. Try as much different stuff as you can.

10. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I vote for the GK 1001 RBII, love mine. For $600 new, it's hard to beat.

Recently I got a new iAMP800, and noticed the same need for EQ changes for different basses. I think that's a testament to the "accuracy" of the iAMP, which is why I bought one. That, and the 2 ohm capability.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Here are some that I would put at the top of my list:

EA iAMP 800 (may be enough of a difference from your 600 to do the trick)
    Thunderfunk TFB550-B
    Eden WT-800B or WT-1205
    Glockenklang Heart Soul or Heart Rock
    Walter Woods Ultra
    Ashdown Labs MK500 (with the Harmonic Emphasis on! ;))
    EBS HD350

I'm sure I'll think of some more...

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I think the Eden stuff is outstanding at "plug and play" In my limited experience with Thunderfunk, they sound great too....

13. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    +1 on Eden and Thunderfunk...

I've used Eden gear tons of times on very different stages/gigs, and I almost never have to tweak them to get a great sound. I haven't used the TF on a gig, but in a living room setting it sounds ALOT like the Eden set flat. Either of these amps used would fit your budget nicely.

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Oh yeah, after the GTG, I gotta add the Series III Focus, too. :)

Tom.

15. albass111

albass111 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ashdown ABM 500 is in your price range. Sounds great with the flat EQ switch engaged. so imagine how easy it is to dial something in.

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I agree with the Carvin suggestions! Check out their new B800!

17. The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL

18. The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I am considering this as well. However, so far I haven't seen too many 2-channel amps that appeal to me AND are in my price range.

19. The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks, good ideas. SOme are out of my $$ range, I think.

20. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    <now's my chance>

Hey, how 'bout the GrooveBass 1200? I play the same styles as you (except for rock) and it's been a fantastic head for about $495. 1200 watts into 2 ohms and all the thunder you can handle. there are numerous posts on this beast, so I'll invite you to read up on it......great head!!