1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Your Compressor Settings ? Just bought a Darkglass Hyper Luminal pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sayclean, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Sayclean

Sayclean

Jul 26, 2009
    Nashville, TN
    I play blues,blues rock with Fender Jazz and "P" passive basses. I just purchased a Darkglass Hyper Luminal Compressor pedal. Do you use this pedal or if not, what setting do you use on compressor pedals, for example Attack and Release? Is there a link already on compression settings?

2. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    It really depends on what you are trying to achieve with the comp

3. Any Compressor I use, I generally go for fast attack, slow release, high ratio.

4. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    Im opposite and like a slow attack, release slightly on the quicker side and 4:1 or 8:1 with blend

crguti likes this.
  5. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I use a good amount of compression. I have the ratio pretty high. Medium attack and slow release

6. Sayclean

Sayclean

Jul 26, 2009
    Nashville, TN
    I’m playing in a couple of bands. One is blues/funk/rock. The other is 70’s Classic Rock. I am using Aguilar equipment and love tone. I use a P bass with flats, and Fender jazz with rounds and now flats. Just looking for a little more bite funk with the jazz. Use mids in eq to bring it out, but looking for that evergoing search for better tone and funk bite. Hope that makes sense, thanks

7. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    Ok well the bus mode on the hyper luminal sounds perfect for you. As far as attack time goes, thats just a personal preference and something for you to fiddle with. But at least with the blend option it allows you to hammer down quickly and still not lose feel because you can add in clean. If parallel compression isnt your thing then you would probably benefit from a more open attack. Then there is the threshold and ratio too. So many variables on a comp its so hard to explain, but if you understand what each control does it is quite easy to dial in your own preferences parameter wise, as comp settings are a personal thing, but BUS sounds like what you want to start with

8. peaveyGrind6Man

peaveyGrind6Man

Apr 1, 2013
    I'd say turn the ratio to Max start playing and and change it till you get the sound you want. Alot of bass players stay around 2:1 - 4:1 ratio the blend knob will be your friend as it will allow for the dynamics to come through still. Also do you play finger or pick cause that will also determine your settings as well. Too much compression can squash your tone and dynamics.

9. peaveyGrind6Man

peaveyGrind6Man

Apr 1, 2013
    It really is. Sym mode might be good too if he's looking for bite it's based off the super symmetry pedal which sounds like a bus compressor with a bite if I read things right.

10. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Try my settings.

Bus mode.
    Ratio = 3rd light over.
    Blend = 2 o'clock.
    Compression = Noon, but instrument dependant.
    Time = Noon.
    Output as needed (with my setup, unity is about 1 o'clock.

The Hyper Luminal is one fantastic pedal. My Goodness!

DrMole, patzilla83 and scubaduba like this.
  11. Sayclean

Sayclean

Jul 26, 2009
    Nashville, TN
    E178F171-8A83-47AD-B7DF-F6B1A6377E35.jpeg 9CD29ECA-5D9B-456D-A767-24BBE36D9187.jpeg This weekend I played 3 different locations and one was an outdoor stage. One band was Classic Rock, other band was Blues Rock and Elvis tunes and the Other one was Worship Band Contemporary Christian Music. These are the settings I used for most part. I may tweak settings a little, but so far it gave me the punch and thump and funk at all levels of volume. I’m really happy with this pedal and it’s doing what I had planned it doing. As with compression it did a great job leveling out volume on loud and soft notes without affecting my tone. I also use the MICROTUBES B3K for some Overdrive on 70’s Classic Rock Tunes.

12. Estimadoxr

Estimadoxr

Apr 8, 2017
    Dear friends: who change hpf setting whit DG suite? New experiences???

13. AYC

AYC

Aug 13, 2018
    That setting is one of the more straightforward in my opinion, the higher the setting the more low-end is let in. I keep most of mine between the 250-500 depending.

I'm still tinkering with attack/release combos...any advice here is welcomed...

14. minddrain

minddrain

Dec 17, 2018
    I found that I had to turn the ratio up and crank the compression. I am just an “average” player. No slap, funk, or beating on the strings of any type. I was getting a more inconsistent sound coming through and not hearing when I would incidentally pluck harder than intended. I am not a performer, just play as a hobby. I can say that it is a really good pedal and does what I need it to and I can tell where it would be useful for someone who has an audience. It is probably a bit higher priced for a beginner. But, I’m old and can have nice things.

westrock, 40Hz and flewis like this.
  15. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I need to dig into my HL. I just bought one and I really like it so far. Like all DG pedals there is a little bit of noise but it’s a great compressor. I think the only thing I’ll change in the suite is the HPF, I like the fast attack slow release sustain thing it does naturally.

16. Stellvia

Stellvia

Jul 18, 2015
    Perth, Aus
    I’m really liking mine. Mainly using the Bus mode but I also really like the Sym mode for a bit of a high end roll off and more mellow sound.

Played around with the settings in the Suite when I first got the pedal. Ended up staying with the default setup and values for the attack/release control as it works really well like that for me. Only thing I changed is setting the HPF to around 120Hz as per @scubaduba recommendation in his review and I prefer that to the stock setting.

Very versatile and great sounding compressor pedal! Hoping we may hear about some new compressor modes that were hinted at on release!!

scubaduba, AYC and geolikezik like this.
  17. geolikezik

geolikezik

Mar 13, 2016
    Switzerland
    Me too :hyper:

AYC and Stellvia like this.
  18. Hi everyone,
    Just wired up my HL and here is the setting I arrived at for a clean, punchy rock/funk sound. I was playing my Steinberger L2 which is super clean, bright and lots of bottom. On the other end is an Ampeg Portaflex 800w w/4x10 and 1x15. The Zoom B2.1u is essentially used as a preamp - it's set to patch b8 which is SansAmp emulator with the drive pedal set to minimum. Hitting the pedal adds a nice overdrive, and the Hyper Luminal eats this stuff up. I am in love : ) IMG_6714.jpg

19. misterCRUSH

misterCRUSH It's all jazz...it's ALL jazz... Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Arkansas
    very close to ordering this compressor. have watched all the videos and read all the reviews. i am a fretless fender jazz player focused on jazz trios at the moment. I am currently using an MXR dynacomp compressor but it just isn't versatile enough for the sounds i'm looking for. I'm really hoping that this can complete my sound. been searching for awhile.

20. Sayclean

Sayclean

Jul 26, 2009
    Nashville, TN
    I’ve used many compressors over the years and have taken them off my board. I have good technique so didn’t think I needed one. This compressor will do whatever you need it to do. It’s very versatile. Now, It’s always on. I use it to get more funk. I play mostly Blues and R&B. DarkGlass are my favorite pedals now. I also have the Alpha/Omega EQ with distortion Side when needed. I used to have all MXR and they are good pedals, not knocking them.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021