Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your computer interface?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tsal, May 13, 2002.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    (This seems to be very off topic :D )

Anyways, I was wondering what do you people have for using your computer? We've rummaged through your PC's main unit; your processors, graphics cards, RAMs, sound cards, monitors etc, but what's there on the outside? I'm talking about the keyboards and mouses, or whatever you might have on your desk to access TB.

I seem to like Keytronic keyboards. This is my first one though, and I've used it for years. It's basic win95-model with three extra keys. Before this one, I had this P.O.S. Best-keyboard which lasted about 6 months. After that I paid $20 more, and this thing has lasted probably 10 times what that thing did.

I just updated my mouse, from MS Serial Mouse(which was also very sturdy) to Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse. I like this thing, it's well designed and bit more personal with it's metallic blue finish and red light glowing from it's sides. I looked at MS optical mouses but they felt too much like toys to me, and besides their wheels are just awful.

Now all I need is a new mouse mat, I've had this old red thing since my first computer, which would mean for about seven years.. You can just about imagine how brown and yucky it is by now, after years of coffee stains and hand grime on it :D
    I was thinking about one of those Allsop Raindrop-thingies.. Do they come in red?

Yes, this IS truly very interesting topic, but I thought to post it anyways :)

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, The Miscellaneous Forum is my home page. If I'm on another page and want to get back to TB, all I do is click a button on my keyboard and I'm back home.

I use a Logitech mouse with the wheel thingy. I I love it. It makes scrolling on a page much more pleasant.

3. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I have two interesting things:

LG 19" flatscreen CRT monitor w/4 port USB hub :D This thing ROCKS!

and my trackball, logitech's top 'o the line cordless optical trackball, thumb does the ball (why I'm so dextrous when slapping ;) ) I like this too... everything else is boring.

4. you know you don't need a mouse mat for an optical mouse... :)

but my pc has a Samsung (iirc) keyboard, MS Explorer optical mouse, 17" smile monitor, 14" hyundai monitor and another pos 14" monitor...

5. Dexxa optical mouse + cherry keyboard..

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't know who made my keyboard, it is a copy of the MS Natural keyboard and also allows me to define the keypad for browser and Media Player(or Winamp!) controls.

My mouse is a Microsoft Optical wheel mouse.

My monitor is an NEC MultiSync XV17+

7. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I have the standard Mac issued keyboard and optical mouse. My monitor is a 16" CRT, but I'm craving their new 23" HD monitor.

And I'd just like to confirm The_Basses statement that you don't need a mouse pad with an optical mouse. As long as it's on a flat surface it'll work great. Mine works better on my forearm than a ball mouse does on a mouse pad.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I got screwed into a 16" moniter when my 17" went kaput.

I'm using an AOpen Keyboard and an AOpen two button +flywheel (which has a button in it...so...three button and a flywheel?)

It's not the cream of the crop, but I don't have the $$ to get that 19" moniter I want, and an optical mouse. I do however, have a spiffy set of Altech/Lansing speakers, a cable modem, and a nice Lexmark Z43 to make up for it. Meh.