Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your current favorite sandwich

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Mar 29, 2004.

1. OK, maybe we can learn about some mouth-watering sandwich ideas that were previously unknown to man.

My current favorite is:

A thin slice of fried eggplant
    A slice or two of thinly sliced ham
    Mozzarella cheese
    Roasted red peppers

You don't need any mayo or anything else.

The combination of these items compliment each other perfectly.

I found out about this at a deli near me.

Try it, it is delicious! :)

And you?

Mike

2. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    What I'm eating right now.

wheat bread
    thick-sliced honey ham
    spicy mustard
    cheddar cheese
    lettuce
    bread and butter pickles

Yum.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    "Look, Bob, it's your favorite: a twinky-weiner sandwich!"

brad cook

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I like peanut butter and old bass strings between two slices of whole wheat bread.

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Favorite sandwich of all time is a muffaletta. To me, the meats, cheeses, even bread choice is all secondary -- the right olive salad is THE essential ingredient that makes or breaks a muffaletta, and there's hardly any version of the sandwich I've had outside of New Orleans that's even in the ballpark. My local grocery store is carrying a brand of olive salad called Boscoli (sp?) and it's pretty darn decent. If you take a decent piece of crustry bread, put a good olive salad in direct contact with it (preferably heat a bit just to let the oil thin up and soak into the bread and wake up the crusty outside of the bread)... do that, and you've got it. Beyond that you can hardly ruin the dang thing!

:hyper:

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    right now:

extra beef po' boy

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    here in NJ and PA we have a chain of Convenience stores called WaWa .... my favorite sandwich currently is a WaWa "classic sized" (they come in Jr., Shortie, Classic and 2 footer) Chicken Salad with yellow american and bacon... topped with lettuce, onion, black peeper, sweet peppers and vinager.

*drools*

Thanks... I'm hungry now! :spit:

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I don't eat as many sandwiches as I probably should be eating. When I'm at home I like to make myself a nice sandwich quite a bit.

Avocado
    Tomato
    Lettuce
    Sautéed onions
    Veggie burger patty
    Cheese(Muenster, pepper jack, Swiss or mozzarella)

I guess it's more of a burger, but I eat it with multigrain whole wheat bread :)

9. my current fave is a tuna melt.
    Igredients:
    -two slices of wheat bread
    -slice of tomato
    -leaf of lettuce
    -provolone cheese
    -a good scoop of tuna salad w/chopped celery and onion
    -a little bit of butter on the outside of the bread to help it toast.

grill it like you would a normal grilled cheese. Its delicious!

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Nothing beats a really great local deli (not thinking of any specific one...just any really great local deli) but as far as chain restaurants go it's hard to beat Schlotzky's for a good sandwich. I like fiesta chicken...and the original of course.

I enjoy a good muffaletta now and then...definitely not the crap that Jason's Deli calls a muffaletta.

brad cook

11. I have never heard of a muffaletta sandwich; now this is what I meant when I said maybe we can swap ideas/recipes. ;)

Secretdonkey, your words about not getting a good one outside of New Orleans are eerily echoed in the first sentence of this link. :eek:
    http://www.gumbopages.com/food/samwiches/muff.html

Here's another recipe, how does this sound to you muffaletta experts?
    http://www.chefrick.com/html/muffalettasandwich.html

Man, I gotta try one of these!

Thank you, Secretdonkey. :)

Mike

12. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I like Schlotzsky's - the Turkey Original is probably my current fave there. They claim the Original was inspired by the Muffaletta, but putting a pinch of minced black olives on a sandwich is hardly a proper tribute to the mighty muff. Agreed on Jason's Deli, too - they use just a dry mix of olives and pimentos, I believe -- not even close to a "real" olive salad. There's just no excuse for that, when you can buy the original, and by far the best I've tried readily enough.

Glad to see that others know better than to accept a Jason's Deli fake muffaletta as the real thing! They're not terribly bad, but they're not a real muffaletta, either...

:cool:

13. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hey Mike,

Notice that the recipe on the first page linked is a lot more complex than the one on that second page - I'd say pretty confidently that the second recipe would be pretty far short of the mark. The recipe on the first page sounds right. If ya really want to get the proper experience, you can order the real thing link. Notice that the legendary Central Grocery serves 'em up cold, but I think a little heat really wakes the flavors up, and most places tend to serve them heated.

The olive salad also makes a stellar green salad when mixed with fresh greens and topped with some fresh pepper and parmesan (I add a bit of Italian dressing too, but only do this if you can find some that doesn't have any sugar - I hate sweet Italian dressing). My wife's grandmother insists that I make this salad at holiday meals -- which is no small honor!

Mike, that eggplant sandwich sounds great, too.

:cool:

14. yep, a good muffaletta'll do it for me.
    mmmmmm.

As far as the plain ol lunchbox type sammiches, fluffernutters are good. And so is good honeyham, turkey, barbeque chips, and honey dijon mustard, all on honey wheat bread....pretty tasty.

grilled cheese and pickles is good too. Best with velveeta.

thats aboot it.

15. Steak and Cheese :bag:

No seriously, does grilled cheese count?

16. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    My favorite has to be eggplant parmesan with caramelized onions in a sub roll that's been squashed flat and toasted.

17. is the pope catholic??
    does a bear dooky in the woods?

:D :D heheh. Heck yeah, grilled cheese is super duper good.

18. ooh and another thing that peps up a grilled cheese is to have fresh ground black pepper OR good crushed red pepper on the cheese before it melts. And then have sliced dill pickles with it... man im hungry.

19. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Any kind of po'boy.

I've got some friends in Gulfport...every time I've gone down there...from there to Nawlins...I have got to have one of those.

Man, the best food is from down South. Makes me hungry thinking about it!!!

20. I used to make sandwhiches alot when I was in school, well on summer vacation, but not much since then. I like simple sandwhiches though...white bread, a little mayo, possibly some sugat on the mayo (a friend of mine does that, its pretty good), and either ham, roast beef, chicken, and maybe: cheese, lettuce and/or pickles.

I often put either peperonni or pieces of bacon (If I have some) in my grilled cheese sometimes. Bye I am going to make one me thinks.