Your Custom Inlays?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Brendan, Jun 11, 2001.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hi...just snooping around bass sites, looking at different inlays..when (though not used on any bass I have seen yet) I suddenly got an idea. I drew it down, and it ended up looking like something I had seen before. Turns out it was this!

[​IMG] or [​IMG]

Now, To me, that's nothing new. Actually to me, the biohazard symbol has some meaning, and has for years. So, I figure that if/when I get custom inlays, I'd get one of those two...(can you imagine those backlit by some green Sims LEDs?...I wish I could afford that, or even rationalize it in some manner, but I can't, so it's just a notion...)

what would you guys do for custom inlays? Birds? Names? Symbols? C'mon, what would you have? (Just bored and have access to the net:))
  2. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Yeah, I´ve got a favourite. Skull & Crossbones..

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    If I ever shelled out the cash for custom inlays, I'd have to get the Superman "S" logo for Slater ;)
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Fretboards with no inlays or dots are the coolest IMO. Just little dots on the side. Like on my ebony fretboard. Slick. :D
  5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i don't like plain dots, but a cool inlay at the 12th fret would be super cool.

um...i'd probably be a dork and get a VW symbol :) or a japanese character. ooh...a japanese character saying "bass" in jade on a wenge fingerboard.

uh oh...i may have unwittingly stumbled onto something i really want! thanks alot!!!

6. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    You guys seen the new bass that spector built with that really old wood they found in some sand pit? Like 40 some thousand year old wood? They only built one and they say they will sell it for 20 some thousand at next namm show! Great inlay work! Its a wooly mammoth!
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Brendan - My spec's call for Ablam paua cut into the shape of fleur-de-lis, (since I grew up in St. Louis and St. Louis, the king/knight, had them on his battle gear). My design is similar to this

Friendly reco - If you haven't checked out Ablam, do yourself, your luthier, and your wallet a favor and look into it, because -

- it's made from real shell, the same stuff used for traditional, natural, sliced-shell inlay
    - it's substantially less expensive than sliced-shell
    - it can be cut with greater detail than sliced-shell (generally just easier to work with)
    - it's more dazzling than natural shell where some areas may not be highly figured as Ablam.

Here's some paua Ablam like I spec'd for mine that I found at -

8. On my old bass i had a parental advisory on my 11th-13th frets, got it done at some little shop in the middle of mississippi for like 50 dollars. They did a great job too.
  9. I've Seen A bass with dot inlays and an inlay that was backlit that looked like a bass on the 12th fret. I asked How much he payed for them and It was pretty Reasonable about $150